Thread: Blue box in tree

Blue box in tree

My wife and I were walking on state land this AM by an area that was clear cut a few years ago. We saw a decent sized wooden box strapped to a tree. It was about 18 feet off of the ground. The box appeared to be pretty well made and was painted blue. The box appeared to be enclosed with no obvious entry points on any of the visible sides. This suggests that this was not a nesting box though I would not be shocked if it was. There was a serial number on the bottom. Someone went through a lot of effort to hang this box. We are pretty certain it was the state. The serial number and the fact that there was no effort to conceal it in any way makes it unlikely that it was just private individual. Anyone have ideas what this is all about?

My guess would be a beetle or caterpillar trap. Did you happen to notice what type of tree it was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Blue or Purple? I've seen the purple ones before and that was for the Emerald Ash Borer.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?...av_GID=1631%20
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

I have seen the ash borer boxes and this was not one of them. What made the box so unusual was the amount of work that it took work and position in the tree (its 18 +/- feet off of the ground). Given its heavy construction it is obviously intended to be used over multiple seasons though maybe not in the same location. We thought it might be a bat box but we did not see any obvious entries. Maybe it is a butterfly box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It reminds me of a bee hive section.Google bee hive box,they have almost an identical box on amazon,same exact construction.

A little more googling and I found out what the C.A.E.S. stands for on the bottom of the box.The Ct. agriculture experiment station.

Images
    It’s a bee hive “deep” box. I assume placed high in a tree to catch a potential swarm of honey bees. Bees swarm when their hive quarters get too tight. They gather in a tight cluster at the hive entrance, make sure the queen is well protected, fly off to a nearby tree or bush where they’ll hang in the tight cluster and wait for scouts to go off an find another suitable location for a hive. Once a scot bee finds a good spot it’ll fly back to the swarm and bring them all off to their new home. Bee keepers the world over fear losing their bees to swarming but on the other hand, readily welcome a free colony of bees that has swarmed and been caught or trapped.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    It’s a bee hive “deep” box. I assume placed high in a tree to catch a potential swarm of honey bees. Bees swarm when their hive quarters get too tight. They gather in a tight cluster at the hive entrance, make sure the queen is well protected, fly off to a nearby tree or bush where they’ll hang in the tight cluster and wait for scouts to go off an find another suitable location for a hive. Once a scot bee finds a good spot it’ll fly back to the swarm and bring them all off to their new home. Bee keepers the world over fear losing their bees to swarming but on the other hand, readily welcome a free colony of bees that has swarmed and been caught or trapped.
    You are probably right about the box though we did not see an obvious entrance with the binoculars from different angles. Still it was way up there. It seems an awful lot of work to drag it so far up the tree and secure it. There are a number of bears in that area so maybe it was a way of making less susceptible to bear damage. We'll swing by there in the next week or so and check it out again.

Images
    A bear would have no problem getting at the box in the tree. Google “Bee swarm box in tree” or “Using a deep box in a tree to catch a swarm.” Plenty of pictures under Images.

Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com