Thread: Triple!

Triple!

Wasn't even really excited about turkey season yet. Cold spring had everything jacked up so I didn't spend a lot of time scouting for turkeys. Treat took his kid out a few times during youth and had zero luck.

So...since today was going to be our first day to hunt them, I decided to drive around and check the farms I frequent. Turns out every farm and field had birds in it. Even fields that haven't usually had birds...it was a little crazy.

Treat wasn't going to hunt this morning, but his boy convinced him that they should hit the first few hours. I was still set on hunting coyotes, so while I didn't hunt with Treat and his boy, I pointed them in the right direction. About 7:45, I hear two shots way off in the distance...mile or so. Treat dropped a long beard after his boy missed.

I saw no coyotes...plenty of deer and turkeys, but no coyotes. I linked up with Treat and checked out his bird, grabbed my decoys from him and headed out.

On the way home, I figured I'd swing by an area I hunt and see if there were birds out in the sunshine. Sure enough, and I hatched a plan to go after them. Problem was...as I made my sneaky way to find a place to set up, I got blocked by two gobblers. So I went left and decided I was gonna go after them. Except left was a field full of birds. Birds 270°.

I bumped the birds left, made it to the woodline, put out a single feeding hen decoy and let out a couple yelps...thinking I was calling to the birds to my left. But instead, all the birds I bumped from the field now erupted from my right.

Didn't take them long, and I had 5 long beards in front of me...20yds. I waited for two to line up and let one go. BAM... Two gobblers down. One is flopping a little so the other 3 come back to finish him off. I picked the biggest and drilled him!!

Three longbeards on the ground, and the other two stayed within 30 yds as I called my brother in astonishment... And then two more came in from my left. The ones I originally thought I was hunting.

Crazy... I wasn't sitting 10 minutes. Guess I can get back after those yotes. Buzzards picked the eyes out of this one within an hour of dropping it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by S2H; 04-28-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Images
    Wow awesome Scott!! Nice way to tag out!! Congrats
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Damn, Scott, you don't mess around. Congrats.
    Checked the fields this morning at 0545 on my way to work, 4 deer, no birds. On my way home, just before 5pm, still nothing. I don't know where they are. Haven't heard a gobble yet this spring.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

That is one heck of a morning, congrats!

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Awesome morning. Nicely done.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Good grief! Congrats! Back to the coyotes already

That is unreal! Congrats on a quick limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats! That’s the way to get it done quick.

Ah, ye olde target rich environment. Good job!