Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been out chasing them

Images
    This morning was pretty awesome. Got out with DU and Bishop to a farm permission. Had a gobbler roosted really low in a branch right above us and didnít even know it. 5:20 came and it was non stop thundering for a good 20 minutes. Then it was back and forth calling every now and again for a bit in some really thick fog. Had we set up 50 yards down hill on the hedge we were in we would have all connected by 6:30. They were a little spooky with the fog though and eventually got quiet and made their way into the woods away from us. We decided to pick up the decoys and move down the hedge row some closer towards the roost area. Finally we picked up on some hammering wayyyyy off in the woods. Took a solid hour of talking to that boy to get him to come in. Closer and closer his gobbling was getting. We knew heíd break out into the field soon ... but where exactly? Finally I spotted him about 150 yards on a small point in the field. Once he broke out it didnít take him but three or four minutes to make a hot and angry line straight to our set up. 35 yards out ... Goodnight. Tony and I shot simultaneously and he dropped hard. Nice to finish with a bagged bird after we came just shy of doubling or tripling just a couple hours earlier and thought it may be over for the day. Old bird - 27 lbs on the scale. Re zeroed the scale three times to be sure. Old worn out spurs. He was a little beat up. We were thinking perhaps some jakes were starting to beat on him some. Show their dominance in the pecking order.

Iíll upload pics in a bit. Not letting me add in pics on my phone now.

Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    27 lbs is a monster. Should be good eating ( old and tough). Congrats.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    He was a big ol' boy.

For dinner tonight I made up pan seared wild turkey breast strips with wild leak mashed potatoes and a homemade stock gravy. So good.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Damn...27lbs. Probably took the both of you shooting simultaneously to kill that beast.

Congrats!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This old bird was heavy. The spurs were all worn down too. He looked beautiful strutting in from 150 yards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats to everyone that got one. 27 lbs thatís a monster. That might be close to some kind of state record.
    I got out again Saturday. Birds gobbled on the roost pretty good they nothing until a little after 6 one gobbled in the field I am hunting. I think itís to my right so I shift around that way then a minute or so latter I see a black ball of feathers 20 yards to my left. I try to ease around when he is behind some brush hoping he was fixated on the decoys but he saw something he didnít like because he broke strut and just walked slowly into the woods. He wasnít to buggered up because I saw him just slowly walking through a bunch of saplings but never presented a clean shot. 20 mins latter a line hen came from the way he went and that was all I saw or heard.
    On Sunday I hit up Rhode Island. The first spot I went 4 or 5 birds (some sound like jakes) gobbled good on the roost but I could hear hens with them and they pitched down onto a private land field. They would gobble sporadically on the ground at crows or geese but paid me no mind. I left them around 930 and went to a different spot. When I got there I saw at least 7 birds 100 yards out in a lot. One strutter another red head and the others I couldnít tell some hens I am sure. I snuck partly around on them through the woods but not surprisingly they didnít pay any attention to me and just did there thing. I snuck out and let them be a little after 12.
    Good luck to everyone.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Got out this morning for first time. No sooner out of the truck, birds were gobbling. Since I haven't seen any around, that was encouraging. Called back and forth for an hour or so, but they stayed across the street on other property. I took a walk further back on property and up a ridge to call over the valley. No responses in that direction. Heading back to field area and only went 20 yards, look down and found my first shed antler for the year. 3 pts to the left side. Back to my original position and the birds had moved off or shut up completely. Out at 0820, All the fields still empty, but half way home, a neighbor about five houses down had at least 3 toms fanned out and a few hens in his horse pasture. At least I know there are a few around.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

6 Point
    Due to my job, I cannot hunt weekdays like I did in the past. I hunted last Saturday and spotted one lone hen and then a pair of wood ducks fluttering around my spot for some reason. No gobblers so far.

congrats Adam I shot one last Saturday that was 22.5 lbs and i thought he was big . 27 is gigantic. Well done boys!!! I have only been out twice but had a great time. Called in a red fox to 10' before i took off my mask and told him to hit the road. then second time had a Jake, 2 hens, and a nice tom come in full strut and put a nice shot on him. i finally spent some money last year and bought 4 different turkey ammo for patterning purposes. you just cant believe how different they shoot. the Remington nitro just lays down my last 2 birds and they don't even flop its awesome!! Normally i would be out more but im getting ready for bear camp in NB.. Have fun chasing them boys!!

Update

Tuesday I got out. Birds gobbled good on the roost then they had lock jaw after fly down. Around 6 a bird gobbled kind of close to my right. I got set up figuring he would come right down the edge of the field to my decoys. The way the field is from where I was sitting I could not see that far down the lot but when he would come in view he would be 25 yards from me. After about 10 minutes I hear something in the leaves behind me and I think itís a squirrel and I almost donít look but curiosity wins out and I turn a little and just see a red head going down the bank behind me not 10 feet behind me. I watch him walk through the woods and off onto private land. He is not running but walking at a decent clip and I have no chance to get around on him. I hit Rhode Island up latter in the morning and heard one gobble close at my first calling position by I sat there for an hour and he never came in.

Saturday I went to a different spot in CT a bird gobbled across a field to the north and then nothing after flydown. After 9 I walked that way sitting and calling at different spots after about a mile I turn around and head back and I go 300 yards or so south of my original spot to edge of the state land. Around 11:15 I make some calls on a crystal call and a bird gobbles out in front of me. I wait 10 mins and call again-nothing. At 11:35 I get load and do some cutting and the bird answers in front of me but off to my left on private land. I shift around and get ready less then 5 mins latter I see him strutting and looking in the field I am watching. He takes a couple of more steps and sticks his up to look again and I touch it off at 11:40. 17lbs 14 oz 3/4Ē and 7/8Ē spurs. I saw when I was cleaning him he had 3 beards. The main one was 9Ē. The other two were 3Ē and 4.5Ē. There wasnít much to the smaller ones just a few strands each. The first multiply bearded bird I shot. I will try to post a photo latter.

Sunday I gave RI a try for a couple hours. Just heard some on the roost. Had to leave by 7 for a family commitment.