Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone been out chasing them

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Due to two jobs and real busy, I finally got out for a second hunt this morning. I checked and pulled some beaver traps early morning, then with no more stops, I hit the woods from 10-12. I don't usually hunt late mornings, but I saw a bird in the field on my way to beaver job, and a big tom coming out of that field yesterday afternoon. I was hoping he was still around.
    I called along the edge of neighbor's field on the way in with no response. Walked further out onto the ridge and heard a distant gobble.......back at the field.
    After 15 minutes or so, I headed back and he was gobbling continuously in the field. I set up (no dekes) on the cart path and called. Lots of gobbles but he wouldn't commit. I moved a couple times to the stonewall at edge of field that divides the properties. He came up over a rise in the field and just kept gobbling. He wouldn't move, just looked around for an hour. I tried to stay quiet for 5-10 minutes at a time, hoping he would come looking. Still nothing. At noon, I headed to my truck 300 yards away and he gobbled non-stop until I left. He's probably still gobbling. I'll try for him Monday morning.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Due to two jobs and real busy, I finally got out for a second hunt this morning. I checked and pulled some beaver traps early morning, then with no more stops, I hit the woods from 10-12. I don't usually hunt late mornings, but I saw a bird in the field on my way to beaver job, and a big tom coming out of that field yesterday afternoon. I was hoping he was still around.
    I called along the edge of neighbor's field on the way in with no response. Walked further out onto the ridge and heard a distant gobble.......back at the field.
    After 15 minutes or so, I headed back and he was gobbling continuously in the field. I set up (no dekes) on the cart path and called. Lots of gobbles but he wouldn't commit. I moved a couple times to the stonewall at edge of field that divides the properties. He came up over a rise in the field and just kept gobbling. He wouldn't move, just looked around for an hour. I tried to stay quiet for 5-10 minutes at a time, hoping he would come looking. Still nothing. At noon, I headed to my truck 300 yards away and he gobbled non-stop until I left. He's probably still gobbling. I'll try for him Monday morning.
    I had one that did that to me for two days last year. He would gobble non stop for over an hour each time but never commited. The second day I changed my setup on him still nothing and on the third day I moved again and he was dead by 630. He was even in the middle of a gobble when I shot him but I don't know how he wasn't horse.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Friday's big Tom didn't show up this morning. Nothing else did either. Hunted 3 different spots on the 150 acres from 0600 - 0800 and never heard a bird.

same here Toomanyhobbies, all the birds moved off the roost and jumped corn fields for me. Hit two more fields without a single gobble. Slow morning everywhere.

Of course on the last field I drove past at 12:30, there were 2 jakes gobbling at everything right smack in the middle...

Images
    4th time out. Almost slept in, but forced myself to get up and out. Into the woods at 0600. Heard a distant gobble, so ended up walking about 3/4 mile stopping and calling along the way. Finally got to the end of the line and the bird was louder and answering. He was on the neighbor's property in a field in the woods maybe 200 yards away. I only know the field is there from satellite pics. I hunkered down and kept calling. Sounded like he was getting closer. About the time I expected to see him, the skeeters were about to carry me off. I quickly took off my camo mesh head covering and put on my winter pull down hat, mesh back on over it, just to keep my sanity. I was just about to give a purr when I heard a snap straight ahead of me. I was expecting him to come from my left around a wall, but he chose to climb over it. All I could see was his head and neck, facing me. He turned and his head went behind a small tree, I dropped my slate and striker, picked up my double 12 and waited for his head to pop up again. Shot was good and he didn't even flap when he flopped. 8:05 hunt over.
    9 1/2" beard. 13/16" and 1" spurs. I forgot to weigh him, but I figure right around 20 - 22 lbs. Long walk out with bird, I had to put him down and switch hands 7 times. lol. I have to run to a job, I'll post up a pic when I get back.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TooManyHobbies; 05-22-2018 at 03:52 PM.