Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been out chasing them

Anyone been out chasing them

I got out Wednesday until 10. Got soaked. Saw a couple of birds the other end of a lot I was hunting. I couldn't tell if they were hens or toms but they wanted nothing to do with me. They were still there when I snuck out. Anyone have any luck?

I haven't been out yet, my preseason scouting wasn't very successful, so I held off. May wait another week or two.

Tried my luck on Wednesday and got a good soaking until about 7 and then again out this morning. 4 or 5 gobblers but they came in from behind me and couldnít turn on them based on where I️ was sitting. On the way out they were all sitting on private land with their thumbs on their noses and tongues out laughing at me.

Images
    Yep. Went out opening day and sat state. The rain was peaceful but it was all quiet after some short gobbling at around 5:45 until the last hour of legal. Right at about 11 a strutting tom hit the far side of the field. He was calling to a hen that found herself in my decoys. Gobbler game to about 100 yards before locking up and eventually moving off. Yesterday I hit my hill with my black powder 12 gauge and had two jakes hold up just over a knoll in the woods at about 45 yards. Never had a shot on them and they disappeared. This morning I hit a farm permission to scout for a hunt with DU CT tomorrow morning. Of course, covered up in birds. Man were they thundering hard. Tomorrow Iím hoping they commit right into the jake/hen decoy combo that will be out in front of us and we can try for a double. This forum is too quiet given its open spring turkey... good luck to all who go out.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Would've posted but it's been busy having to work after hunting each morning. Been out every morning so far and things seem a little behind schedule out here. Woods looks like late fall and the birds only seem to gobble well until fly down which is typical of the early season. I haven't seen or heard any hens with the toms and jakes yet though.

Wednesday was to be expected with rain keeping them tight lipped. Hit state real early to hike in above the birds and they didn't gobble until after fly down. Got a few responses but they shut up quick with fog and rain rolling in. Terrain made it impossible to make a move so I backed out figured I'd head back to them Thursday.

Thursday my father joined me in the same location and this Time I made sure we weren't too high above them. Birds gobbled well, with a Tom and a few jakes trading back and forth on the limb. They weren't a fan of tree talk so we shut up until they hit the ground. After a fly down cackle we had them convinced there was a hen on the ground at which point they assembled together with some sportatic gobbling not really answering our calls. After giving them the silent treatment for a bit they hammered at half the distance. A little soft calling coaxed them the final distance but they skirted the cliff edge above us with the tom in the lead. The woods is so open that they weren't about to b-line right to us. The only bird presenting a shot was a hard gobbling jake so my dad reached out and blasted him on the cliff about 10ft above us at 40yds or so. The bird came tumbling down the hill landing within a few feet of us dead. The others moved on quietly and we were out by 6:30.

Today we hit a different spot where we had heard a few birds the weekend before. After a 25min walk in we heard a bird gobbling on the ridge above us. Tried the best we could to use the terrain to get close but the open terrain and sunrise made it almost impossible. We accidently spooked a separate bird on the edge of the hill who glided off silently. Hoping it was a hen we set up and the tom was still hammering in the tree. We made only on series of tree yelps and he shut right up. He flew down about a half hour later and headed towards some distant gobbles. Figuring we got too close we were cussing ourselves talking about what we should've done when a bird gobbles on the adjacent ridge which fired up the tom we has first set up on who was down in the creek bottom. We decided to reposition and try some light calling. The original tom would give a delayed response like he probably had hens. We resorted to the silent treatment hoping one of the birds would eventually break but they both gobbled sporadically not budging much. After a half hour or so I heard what sounded like a Jake Yelp in the bottom. After responding with a Jake yelp two birds appeared out of the bottom sprinting to my left. A little while later a bird sounds off on the hill above us and the first tom responds this time closer to us. I signal my dad to call to the bird behind us who is closing the distance and the woods explodes with gobbles. Now the one behind us is gobbling his head off over the rise so I scrambled to get around the tree to face behind us. The bird strutted gobbled and was spitting and drumming the whole way down the hill while two others would answer from the oppoaite direction. Being between the two birds was looking to be the perfect setup, at one point it there were birds aost 360 degrees around us. As the bird came closer down the hill I noticed something strange about him. Although this bird was hammering over the other one shaking the ground with his gobble, I could see he was a jake when he popped into strut. He had the best jake gobble I've ever heard, easily as loud as a 2yr old. He reached about 15yds and I was just taking it all in enjoying the show when BAAMM and the birds flopping. My dad dropped him. He was looking over at me wondering why I didn't shoot, I was going to let him pass hoping he'd pull the tom to my brother behind me. Meanwhile my brother is facing toward the first bird watching them make their way to us. They didn't quite like what they heard with the gunshot and headed off. The tom in the bottom was coming in on a string to the jake but after the display that jake put on I'd say he earned a ride in the back of the truck. He was every bit a gobbler as the tom we were first after.

I'd have to say so far that if you're going to be hunting woods birds in the next week or 2, call sparingly because they don't seem to be buying the excited hen talk. Can't call a lot anyway because the birds can easily see 100yds in the timber right now and will just hang up. Back after them tomorrow this time on private.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Haven't been out yet. Haven't seen any birds around either. usually the local fields have a few, but not for the last month. I saw one hen cross the road last week.
    Had a bunch of bat work this week, hopefully I can get out Tues.
    Good luck all.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Plus with the woods so open it is impossible to close the distance on any hung up bird or really do any kind of running or gunning without fear of bumping the birds. Hopefully with the warm temps next week we will start to see some green in the woods.

Nice write-up Mallard...congrats on your success thus far.

Brian...you should check those fields again. Did my drive around tonight, and nearly every field had birds in it. I'm still in coyote mode. I only killed one over break, but there has been considerable action. So much so that I need to go back to a farm that had 3 dogs in its fields last Sat. If the yotes aren't there, there are 4 big toms around that might refocus my attention.

Good luck all...it's just starting.

Quote Originally Posted by johnski View Post
    Plus with the woods so open it is impossible to close the distance on any hung up bird or really do any kind of running or gunning without fear of bumping the birds. Hopefully with the warm temps next week we will start to see some green in the woods.
    Exactly. Sometimes all you can do is let the bird work off a bit then either back out to reposition in front of where he's going or back out completely. Though to do either right now unless they're gobbling consistently so that you know their general location. We'll be able to use all the tricks in a few weeks. End of next week they're calling for high 70s, should really jumpstart green up an breeding activity with that.

Images
    Congrats to your dad Mallard
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com