Thread: Late Winter/early Spring habitat improvment

Late Winter/early Spring habitat improvment

Got out in March and did some hinge cutting of some of the many beeches on my property. I'm happy to see all are starting to bud out. Hoping the deer like the new screening as well. Got a lot of dead fall that while not exactly blocking paths it does make em a little less attractive to deer so I've been putting the bow saw to use. There are a couple I'd love to remove but their size and how they fell makes me want to leave them alone.
    Planted some eastern white pine seedlings as well. I'm really hoping they take and do well. It would make a great screen to help deer feel more secure, give homes to lots of different assorted critters, and they'll look real nice on the edge of the treeline in winter

Finally got out to check on my work and Mother Nature's handiwork from May. None of the pines survived. Most of my hinge cuts survived but I got zero suckers/waterspouts. Anybody have any idea why that would be? All the American Beech survived. The black or yellow (not sure which it is) birches did NOT like being hinge cut. As for Mother Nature her storm weakened a few trees. One fell on the other and they together took out and/or damaged a few saplings. Luckily no danger to the areas where I usually place my stand. Looked a lot but didn't see any hanger either. Overall not too bad except the one spot I might have been able to make a food plot is now completely shaded.