Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to hunt frogs and a few other oddbal questions.

I want to hunt frogs and a few other oddbal questions.

Looking to hunt frogs and other critters with my daughter.

Have fishing and hunting license and read a few older posts.

If I'm in a area legal for firearms hunting can I harvest frogs with a firearm?

Snakes. Can we hunt/harvest them?

Rusty Crawfish. Can they be harvested for consumption?

ETA..

Can slingshots or blowguns be used for small game?

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Noodles McGee; 03-27-2018 at 01:55 PM.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    When I used to take frogs I did it with a rod, a treble hook, and a little red yarn. I would be hesitant to take frogs with a firearm because of the potential for ricochets.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    When I was a kid, my neighbors would go frogging with .22lr, pellet/bb guns. Bow hunting them should be a lot of fun too.
    What would you do with snakes?
    It may be a little while for Encon to reply, he's not here often, maybe once or twice a month. I'll be interested in his answer.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Ive always used a hook a line but was curious on firearms.

Snakes. Id try to eat em. Had rattlesnake and it was good. Come across some big black snakes. I would think they'd make a meal.

As far as safety goes with ricochets, proper precautions arw paramount. I/e backstop, angle of shot , etc.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    FYI - Timber Rattlesnakes and Black Rat Snakes are protected in CT.
    Water snakes get pretty chunky, big enough for a meal, but not sure on the legality of snake hunting.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Water snakes get pretty chunky, big enough for a meal, but not sure on the legality of snake hunting.
    Thanks for that info. Knew about rattlers but not the black rat snake.

Its more of a curiosity for me. Just to try it. I wouldn't pout too much if it wasnt legal. I like definitive boundaries.
    Last edited by Noodles McGee; 03-27-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Images
    Iím pretty positive that frogs are regulated under the bait fishing section of the Anglers Guide. I went frogginí a few times one summer maybe four or five years ago. Just for fun. I recall the legal methods of take being by hook and net only. And it was pretty well spelled out to not take a spotted leopard frog when attempting to take bullfrogs. Iím thinking that this state absolutely would not allow hunting frogs with a rifle. Same with snakes. Neither are in the hunting guide. Give DEEP a ring and ask them directly.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    I had no idea that black snakes were protected either. My property is lousy with them. I don't mind since they aren't poisonous and will eat things I'd rather not have around like mice and other varmints.

Quote Originally Posted by DanburyBowhunter View Post
    I had no idea that black snakes were protected either. My property is lousy with them. I don't mind since they aren't poisonous and will eat things I'd rather not have around like mice and other varmints.
    Beautiful as well

Added a another question to the OP