Thread: Emergency alert

Emergency alert

EMERGENCY ALERT !!!!!!
    Delta Waterfowl has just learned that an amendment has been included in SB 109 that would eliminate waterfowl hunting on the Quinnipiac and Mill River from the I-95 bridge to the I-91 bridge. The amendment would designate these stretches of both rivers as wildlife refuges. This amendment has been included without any public hearing.
    It is critically important that hunters call first thing Thursday morning before 10:15 and express your strong opposition to this amendment and express your strong displeasure that the amendment was included without input from waterfowl hunters and other stakeholders.
    Please contact the Connecticut General Assembly - Environment Committee 860-240-0440. Please share this widely and ensure your fellow waterfowlers are aware of this amendment. Thank you

John Devney
    VICE PRESIDENT, U.S. POLICY
    1312 Basin Ave, Bismarck, ND 58504

Delta Waterfowl

Sb 109

The primary issue with SB 109 is one of process. The Bill's sponsor's intent is to close waterfowl hunting in that area. But, he did and end run with creating a state wildlife refuge. This usurps the DEEP's process of using a Hunting Review Team (HRT) to determine if areas should be closed to hunting. A HRT evaluation was conducted in this area and most of it was closed a few years back. The small portion that remained open (which will be lost if SB 109 passes) was deemed to be safe for hunting.

The key concern is the precedent that would be set if the legislature starts to close areas by statute instead of using the Hunting Review Team process which has worked very well providing necessary public safety while maintaining some access for sportsmen. Therefore, I urge all sportsmen to contact their Senators and Representatives and oppose SB 109.

Greg Chasko
    President, Connecticut Waterfowlers Association