Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Stamp/ Limit

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    More changes coming to CT concerning turkey hunting. They are strongly considering doing away with the 12:00 PM closing time.
    Oh my. I donít know if my mind, body, and heart could handle chasing turkeys all day! Iíd say Iím against this as well... Way too easy to just post up near roost trees. Mississippi allows all day hunting but no fall season so it kind of offsets. I will admit if you get a bird to gobble after lunch heís a dead bird walking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I thought it was way too liberal of a limit for $28. But, I don't really care if I kill a bird or not, but love to hunt them. I feel it's pretty easy with a shotgun to get a couple. I bought the stamp last year and didn't get a bird (missed one w/bow). I've never shot a fall bird, but have always bought the archery tags just in case. I figure for me personally, the state is ahead of the game. I won't complain about the low cost at this point. I figure they will realize the mistake they made and increase it again.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I'm curious to see the tag sales numbers and how much they change with this system. My guess, and I'm betting the State's strategy, is that people will see this as a "deal" and more will buy the tag then not. If you're only likely to spend one or two days hunting spring turkeys maybe you just say screw it, I'm going fishing instead. Now you'd be more likely to buy a tag because it has that added value.

I agree that we can not compare Connecticut to southern states when it comes to hunting but we can compare to other New England states. Rhode Island has a 1 bird limit in the spring and 1 in fall season that is archery only, Mass you can take 2 in the spring or 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall, New York has a 2 bird limit in the spring, and a year or so ago dropped there fall limit down to 1. New Hampshire is 1 in the spring and limited fall hunt in certain areas where you can take 1. Vermont is 2 in the spring and 1 in the fall and Maine being the most liberal other then CT is 2 in the spring and 2 in the fall. CT I can legally take 10 birds a year 5 in spring and 5 in the fall ( 2 bow hunting, 1 state land firearms, 2 private land firearms). Wild turkey populations are dropping across the country including the North east if anything I think the bag limits should be cut. What does CT know that all the other states donít?
    I heard, all be it second hand, that the biologist were against combing the pheasant and turkey tags that the decision was made at the upper levels to streamline licenses so take that for what its worth. I almost wonder if it is a back door way to cut the pheasant program. They can say well people didnít just buy the tags to hunt pheasants they bought them to hunt turkeys too so we donít owe you next years pheasants.

Quote Originally Posted by johnski View Post
    I agree that we can not compare Connecticut to southern states when it comes to hunting but we can compare to other New England states. Rhode Island has a 1 bird limit in the spring and 1 in fall season that is archery only, Mass you can take 2 in the spring or 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall, New York has a 2 bird limit in the spring, and a year or so ago dropped there fall limit down to 1. New Hampshire is 1 in the spring and limited fall hunt in certain areas where you can take 1. Vermont is 2 in the spring and 1 in the fall and Maine being the most liberal other then CT is 2 in the spring and 2 in the fall. CT I can legally take 10 birds a year 5 in spring and 5 in the fall ( 2 bow hunting, 1 state land firearms, 2 private land firearms). Wild turkey populations are dropping across the country including the North east if anything I think the bag limits should be cut. What does CT know that all the other states donít?
    I heard, all be it second hand, that the biologist were against combing the pheasant and turkey tags that the decision was made at the upper levels to streamline licenses so take that for what its worth. I almost wonder if it is a back door way to cut the pheasant program. They can say well people didnít just buy the tags to hunt pheasants they bought them to hunt turkeys too so we donít owe you next years pheasants.

Great response! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All great points. I believe that part of being a hunter is to do what is good for the lands that you hunt (private or state). It doesn't matter how many tags you get. If the lands you hunt can't support taking that many turkeys than don't fill your tags. Think about the years ahead. My thinking is be more of a huntervationist not so much just a hunter. This is my way of thinking anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by johnski View Post
    Wild turkey populations are dropping across the country including the North east if anything I think the bag limits should be cut.

Perhaps they should be cut. I for one have a hard time believing the population is dropping though. At least in my area, I see turkeys all the time. Spring through late fall its an every day event in my back yard.
    Somehow they stopped coming in my yard after archery season started though....

huntervationist - that is a great term and I suspect fits perfectly to most hunters already. I'm going to start using it to describe myself as a huntervationist not a hunter. Heck, maybe Merriam-Webster will eventually add it to the dictionary.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    For you young pups that don't know what a dictionary is.....it's when google was still on paper and they made information books out of them.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by bishopreid83 View Post
    Oh my. I donít know if my mind, body, and heart could handle chasing turkeys all day! Iíd say Iím against this as well... Way too easy to just post up near roost trees. Mississippi allows all day hunting but no fall season so it kind of offsets. I will admit if you get a bird to gobble after lunch heís a dead bird walking!

I dont know if I my wife and family could take all day turkey hunting. I would feel obligated to be out there every moment I legally could. I can see it now going in the woods at 4 am and leaving at 730pm. Never mind just being able to hunt in the morning's I would have time to go every night after work as well. All joking aside I am not in favor of this either like you stated to easy to ambush them going to roost.