Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Stamp/ Limit

Turkey Stamp/ Limit

Mallard870 made a good comment on the turkey stamp in another thread so I thought Iíd start this one. So what are your thoughts on the one time purchase stamp thatís good for the year? Personally Iím not a fan because I think A. Less money that could possibly go to conservation and B. Encourages spring turkey hunters to shoot a turkey that walks by during the fall just because they have a turkey stamp. I think a lot of deer and small games hunters that only spring turkey hunt now have a reason to shoot a turkey during the fall that walks by without even playing the game (ie working the turkey and calling the turkey in).

To my Next point I think the limits here are way too liberal. Three private and two state birds is a lot for the spring and that doesnít even include the 3-4 more birds we can kill in the fall. Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri, etc have probably 5-10 times more birds than us and as far as I know there bag limits arenít that liberal. Keep in mind I grew up in a state with no fall season so Iím biased to the spring! Anyways just wanted to start a thread to get comments and thoughts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was my exact same concern. When they originally changed the turkey permit system I emailed the head biologist Michael Gregonis with the same questions. I could not wrap my head around how liberal our bag limits are in comparison to states with 3 to 5x the amount of birds. It's nice to get the opinion from someone who knows this firsthand with your experiences turkey hunting in Mississippi.

There's been talk in recent years that the deer population appears to be declining (more so hunter word to mouth than DEEP population reports) and I would hate to see turkey take the same turn after such a successfull reintroduction. Why undo something the NWTF and others worked so hard to make possible all those years ago.

On a side note if anyone has seen the proposed 2018-19 Waterfowl Regs there is a an actual example of how the state could handle population concerns. For the NAPH
    goose zone in which I do the majority of my goose hunting they are removing 10 days from the season and reducing the bag limit from 3 to 2 over concerns of a downturn in goose numbers. It also talks about a potential limit reduction for mallards in the 2019 season. This is consistent with what I've seen the past few seasons in the Northeast part of the state with far less mallards around. We need this state to take out native game species just as serious as our migratory ones. At least we have more control over turkey tag #s than say, a decline in mallard nesting habitat in Northern Canada.

Images
    I agree that the turkey bag limit is wayyyy too liberal. The DEEP decisions never seem to make any sense whatsoever as far as actual true scientific conservation is concerned. Honestly, the only limits Iíve ever really agreed with over the last five years are the tag Furbearers that have enforced totals. They seem very appropriate based on what trappers are seeing and reporting and what the state is finding on its own. For turkeys, we should see two spring birds and a fall bird. Tags split between state and private. Use them how you want. If you shoot two spring birds on state, oh well, youíre done. Deer outside of Fairfield County should be limited in take as well. We should get an antlered and an antlerless tag to be used at our discretion throughout the seasons. And donít get me wrong, Iím saying that as someone who believes the deer population in my area of the state is steady and strong. A lot of times I think hunters forget that itís not about killing - at least it shouldnít be. It should be about conservation and the benefit of the herd, flock, group, etc.

Min Huong gave a presentation the other weekend at a Delta dinner and he discussed the absolute likelihood of the bag dropping to four and the mallard count dropping to two. Iím 100% in favor for it. Tightening up our limits and being more conservative is good all around for the sake of our native and migratory species.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

8 Point
    I have always purchased spring and fall turkey tags when I get my deer permits at the beginning of the year. When I deer hunt, I'm out there hunting to get meat for the freezer. If no deer walk by but a flock of 30+ turkeys do, I'll gladly take some turkey meat also. Lots of guys don't even bother with turkeys in the fall when they have deer on the brain, so in my opinion its nothing to get worked up about. If you think the bag limits are too high, just take what you feel is enough for you.
    Last edited by drevoviii; 03-08-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Hoyt Charger
    Remington 870SPS Super Mag
    T/C Venture Weather Shield 7mm-08, CVA Optima V2 50Cal

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drevoviii View Post
    I have always purchased spring and fall turkey tags when I get my deer permits at the beginning of the year. When I deer hunt, I'm out there hunting to get meat for the freezer. If no deer walk by but a flock of 30+ turkeys do, I'll gladly take some turkey meat also. Lots of guys don't even bother with turkeys in the fall when they have deer on the brain, so in my opinion its nothing to get worked up about. If you think the bag limits are too high, just take what you feel is enough for you.
    Same here.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

just take what you feel is enough for you.
    I would hope most sportsmen take only what they need. Sadly it'd be naive to think everyone does. That being said, by all means harvest as much as you like within legal means. No one can dictate what your meat needs are but you. New England in particular is a fragile ecosystem so for some hunters to shoot as much as they legally can just because they are given the option seems irresponsible to me. Just my 2 cents.

Images
    We can't compare CT to Mississippi or other southern states. Those southern states have way more hunters, and land then us and their season is setup different as well - many of them can hunt turkey all day in the spring. The success rate is a factor in determining bag limits as well as his hunter days afield - don't know how CT lines up with those southern states in those areas.

With that said, I do agree that our turkey bag limit seems pretty high, I also think they screwed themselves out of money by going to the stamp, but the stamp does have other positives vs the tags - pheasant program was dwindling, now it rides with the turkey and money earmarked for the right things, so they say. I always hunt spring turkey, rarely do i ever hunt fall turkey -especially with a firearm. I used to purchase my fall turkey permit just in case one happened by during archery deer hunting. I think the thing that sucks with the stamp is now you can hunt both state and private where in the past I think the extra $19 kept people to one or the other more then not.

I haven't seen #s on success rate in a while but there is a fudge factor there as well which is probably tweaked to account for those not reporting them.

If they cut the bag limit back that wouldn't bother me or the folks I hunt with. I also don't hunt anywhere near the number of hours I used to either. Work gets in the damn way too much.

Last year I would have killed a turkey in the fall when I was out scouting for ducks but I forgot my turkey ammo and all I had was #2 hevi metal in the truck so the gun stayed in the truck. Took a walk anyway and saw a group of 12 and then 2 super long beards. UGH!!!
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

More changes coming to CT concerning turkey hunting. They are strongly considering doing away with the 12:00 PM closing time. All day turkey hunting could come as soon as next year.

Personally I'm against it. Hopefully there will be a chance for us to express our opinions.

As for the 5 bird CT limit. Yes it is a liberal limit. If you only shoot mature Toms, 3 on private and 2 on state then you are one hell of a turkey hunter.

I guess what I'm saying is if you hunt them fairly and you can get 5 mature Toms more power to ya. It is not that easy.

The limits are set with some kind of thought process involved. Even if we don't agree with it. Its my opinion that the thought process is they know there aren't a lot of turkey hunters here. So even though each hunter could get 5, they think the amount killed will likely not decrease the population because......this is a liberal hell hole with minimal hunters.

This is exactly why I get turkey tags/stamp. I'm look for wild game for food. If I'm out deer hunting and turkey come by I would take 1. Of course, I've only seen turkey when I didn't have the tag. I don't spring turkey hunt at all for a variety of reasons. Perhaps an annual limit is a good idea.

In the end the limit is a max. We can each set a lower personal limit.