Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inland Fisheries 2018 Regulation Update

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supportor BigOutdoors's Avatar

Inland Fisheries 2018 Regulation Update

Inland Fisheries 2018 Regulation Update: Here is a very long post but gives you an update on today's events. In summary the proposed regulation package (including the trout and salmon stamp) was approved. It may take a few weeks to finish the process and for the new Regs to take effect. The Fisheries regulations proposal that included a trout & salmon stamp was approved by the Legislature’s Regulation Review Committee (LRRC) at their meeting on Tuesday, 2/27. The new regulations will become effective once they are published on the eRegulations system by the Secretary of State’s office (SOTS). This will occur several days to a week or so after approval by LRRC as there are several additional steps required to formalize the regulations prior to posting by SOTS. TROUT & SALMON STAMP
    A $5.00 trout & salmon stamp is required for any angler 16 years of age and older fishing in a Trout Management Area (TMA), Wild Trout Management Area (WTMA), Trout Park, or Atlantic Salmon Broodstock Area; or keeping trout, Kokanee Salmon or broodstock Atlantic Salmon anywhere statewide.

FARMINGTON RIVER TMA
    A small portion of the West Branch Farmington River in the Riverton area from the intersection of Hogback Road and Route 20 in Hartland downstream to the gas pipeline crossing approximately four-tenths miles downstream of the confluence with the Still River in Barkhamsted will now be closed to all fishing from April First to 6:00 am on the second Saturday in April.

MILL RIVER WTMA & MILL RIVER TMA (Easton-Fairfield)
    The Mill River WTMA is extended downstream to the Merritt Parkway and the Mill River TMA is now catch-and-release year round.

FISHING SEASONS
    Alexander Lake is open to fishing year round. Baldwins Pond and Green Falls Reservoir are open to fishing from 6:00 am Opening Day through the last day of February.

CATFISH
    There is now a creel limit of 6 Channel Catfish and White Catfish in aggregate per day, except in Beaver Park Lagoon, Birge Pond, Bunnells Pond, Center Springs Park Pond, Freshwater Pond, Keeney Park Pond, Lake Wintergreen, Lakewood Lake, Mirror Lake, Picketts Pond, Rowans Pond, Mohegan Park Pond and Stanley Quarter Pond where the creel limit is 3 catfish per day.

COMMON CARP
    There is now a creel limit of 5 common carp per day, with no more than 1 fish greater than 30 inches in length, except in Trophy Carp Waters.

TROPHY CARP WATERS
    Batterson Park Pond, Connecticut River (including the portions of tributaries open year-round), Squantz Pond and West Thompson Reservoir are designated as Trophy Carp Waters with a one carp per day creel limit and a 26 inch maximum length for Common Carp.

METHODS
    Tenkara fishing (a traditional Japanese methodof fly-fishing without a reel) is now allowed in fly fishing areas.

ATLANTIC SALMON BROODSTOCK AREAS
    The period when broodstock salmon gear restriction applies to all species in broodstock areas is now from September 1 to March 31 (inclusive).

Thanks for the update. So if we've already purchased our 2018 fishing license will we need to now purchase these stamps? Will they be available through the online licensing site? Any insight you may have is greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Trophy CARP and trophy CARP waters?? Are you sh***ing me? No one eats the damn things. I always wanted to try bowfishing for them, no point in that now. When will a CARP stamp be required?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOutdoors View Post
    A $5.00 trout & salmon stamp is required for any angler 16 years of age and older fishing in a Trout Management Area........ or keeping trout, Kokanee Salmon or broodstock Atlantic Salmon anywhere statewide.

So as I read it if you intend to keep any trout statewide, regardless of where you fish, a $5 stamp is required. That and a 28.00 fishing license... getting a bit expensive. Does anybody disagree?

I just bought my firearms hunting permit and thats only 19.00...

12 Point
    Is there a map or listing of the TMA’s and WTMA’s available online somewhere?

A “stamp” is just another name for a tax IMHO. Total BS. CT is going outta control.

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supportor BigOutdoors's Avatar
    trout and Salmon Stamp Approved:
    The Trout and Salmon Stamp was formally approved by the Legislative Regulation Review Committee (LRRC) at their February 27, 2018 meeting. The cost of the stamp will be $5.00 for anyone 18 or older, even those who are 65+, and $3.00 for those 16-17. If you have already purchased your license, you will soon be able to add the trout stamp, should you desire.

Thanks for the answer!

The money goes to the fisheries division of DEEP...to the benefit of fish. I applaud whoever spearheaded this for the state. Our wildlife/fish conservation presence is a joke compared to literally every other state in this country. Buy a stamp whether you fish for trout or not. It's going to make everyone's experience better.

Quote Originally Posted by AGust82 View Post
    Buy a stamp whether you fish for trout or not. It's going to make everyone's experience better.
    I hope it'll make peoples experience better.. you ever see the size of the fish they stock in trout parks?

I’ve never understood stocking fish - same with pheasants. Unless you’re trying to boost a native population, why do we spend money as a state and then as anglers to go catch these fish somebody dumped in after being raised at a farm on fish food. Don’t get me wrong, it was pretty cool to pull up a salon ice fishing- just seems money spent on enhancing the local ecosystem would be the best overall, even if it meant lower bag limits.