Thread: General Hunting Law Question

12 Point

General Hunting Law Question

Discharge of any firearm or release of any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

How does this hunting law apply if you are hunting under a bridge that is 150' high above you? Legal?

This is a good question for EnCon. Back when the good Captain was still around I had a similar question. East Swamp in Bethel used to be (may still be) open to spring turkey hunting w/ firearms. At that time the bluff above was open land. I would estimate the height at about 60-80ft. Then Toll Bros built some McCondos. So now if you draw a straight line from the new buildings into East Swamp (but 60-100 ft overhead with the new retaining wall) nearly the entire parcel west of the power line access road would be within the 500ft limitation. What the Captain told me back then is that height makes no difference - it is a straight line measurement. Since I've gotten on private land I haven't checked to see if DEEP updated the rules for the East Swamp.

I also don't want to hunt there because Toll Bros but in about a 3 story retaining wall across most of the top of the bluff. I'm REALLY nervous to be below that! Probably fine but if it decides to go one day there is no out running that.

I don't mean to deviate from this thead but what state are you asking about for these regulations? As far as I am aware in CT there is no minimum distance from roadways. Only that you may not discharge a firearm/bow across the travel portion of any public or state roadway. I'm not going to try and interpret those regs as one could argue being that the bridge is a roadway, any structure supporting the bridge could be considered part of said roadway. So shooting underneath the bridge would put you "directly on" or within 150 ft of the highway. If your regs stated firing from or across the "travel portion" of the road it may be different. Not really an issue of straight line vs elevation.

From the General Hunting section of the CT Hunting Guide: "Hunting Near Roads, Buildings, People, and Domestic Animals - Hunting or shooting from or across the traveled portion of any public roadway is prohibited. Shooting toward any person, building, or domestic animal when within range is prohibited."

12 Point
    ^^^primarily hunt Mass but have hunted many states with very similar laws

There is no distance requirement from the road in CT. You cant shoot across it or hunt in the road.
    So asking that question here wont get anywhere from Encon.