Thread: Public Land Hunting?

Public Land Hunting?

Hi there! I have tried to do research about CT turkey hunting, but haven't gotten anywhere. I'm not asking for secret spots, but does anyone have any general areas they know of? I just got my dad to let me go hunting and now I realize I have nowhere to go

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    How old are you? What part of the state? There are plenty of birds statewide. I assume you are driving age, do some driving around to find birds in fields, yards, etc. It's still a bit early for hardcore scouting, because the birds will move around a bit before the season starts. But, if you find some now, they won't move to far.
    Then it's a matter of knocking on doors and getting permission, unless you are going to hunt state land exclusively. Good luck.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    How old are you? What part of the state? There are plenty of birds statewide. I assume you are driving age, do some driving around to find birds in fields, yards, etc. It's still a bit early for hardcore scouting, because the birds will move around a bit before the season starts. But, if you find some now, they won't move to far.
    Then it's a matter of knocking on doors and getting permission, unless you are going to hunt state land exclusively. Good luck.
    Sadly, no I am not driving age yet. I am from North Branford. I do have a farm near my house, so I could start there. I really want to do some scouting, but as you said it is too early, plus I don't have a car. I was thinking about checking out a place called Tyler's Mill near my house.

Wait until the end of March and then start scouting hard. The good think about them gobblers is they let you know where they are in the mornings if you hoot like an owl. Looking at the map Cockaponset State Forest is close to you and it looks to be over 16,000 acres. I can promise you thereís turkeys on that place. Whatís funny is when I clicked on the map (see the image below) it says Pheasants stocked on aircraft road and turkey hill. Iím willing to bet turkey hill got its name somehow! Check it out! Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bishopreid83 View Post
    Wait until the end of March and then start scouting hard. The good think about them gobblers is they let you know where they are in the mornings if you hoot like an owl. Looking at the map Cockaponset State Forest is close to you and it looks to be over 16,000 acres. I can promise you thereís turkeys on that place. Whatís funny is when I clicked on the map (see the image below) it says Pheasants stocked on aircraft road and turkey hill. Iím willing to bet turkey hill got its name somehow! Check it out! Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bet so thanks

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. It's great to see younger people taking up the hunt.

I don't hunt turkey much and not in Connecticut so I don't have much to offer for turkey hunting.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Not sure of your exact situation - no need for you to explain it here - but perhaps talk to your dad about finding a mentor if he or someone else in your family do not hunt. I know the state sponsors some youth training days and there are specific youth field days where you can get out there to learn and experience with a mentor. A call to Sessions or Franklin may be a great place to start. They may be able to provide you with more information and resources to help you along. Donít be afraid to ask questions here and talk to other hunters. The knowledge you can gain from others is endless.

Here is the link to the DEEP Junior Hunters page just in case you havenít found it already -

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?...epNav_GID=1633
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    Not sure of your exact situation - no need for you to explain it here - but perhaps talk to your dad about finding a mentor if he or someone else in your family do not hunt. I know the state sponsors some youth training days and there are specific youth field days where you can get out there to learn and experience with a mentor. A call to Sessions or Franklin may be a great place to start. They may be able to provide you with more information and resources to help you along. Donít be afraid to ask questions here and talk to other hunters. The knowledge you can gain from others is endless.

Here is the link to the DEEP Junior Hunters page just in case you havenít found it already -

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?...epNav_GID=1633
    Thank you! My dad doesn't hunt, but I am hoping my uncle from Ohio can take me this year, but he will only be here for a couple of days around my birthday. I think I will check out Cocksponsett State Forest. Thanks for all your input. I have been trying to learn as much I can online, but I know that can only go so far so I look forward to going out into the field.

Try to remember that failure is your greatest teacher. That means that if you aren't even seeing anything then your doing something wrong and you have to change something. You may change things a few times before figuring out what mattered the most.

Its not hard to get discouraged after sitting in the woods for 40 hours and not seeing anything.
    Scouting is key. Go out and look for signs.

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellersrobe View Post
    Thank you! My dad doesn't hunt, but I am hoping my uncle from Ohio can take me this year, but he will only be here for a couple of days around my birthday. I think I will check out Cocksponsett State Forest. Thanks for all your input. I have been trying to learn as much I can online, but I know that can only go so far so I look forward to going out into the field.
    I'll make it even easier for you

Plug this into your GPS and park right here for the Cockaponset.

41.358930, -72.506020

Walk N along the gravel road and go left or right after you get well past the 500' exclusion zone for occupied buildings.

Study the maps so you know the boundaries for private land.