Thread: Looking for an Outdoor Shooting Area

Looking for an Outdoor Shooting Area

Hey members, due to various health issues I have a buddy that is totally disabled and on state assistance, he however has a few firearms and loves to shoot. I'm a member of a local shooting/hunting club. My buddy however is not.
    I have been taking him to my club as a guest, but each time a 20.00 guest fee is charged to use the ranges and him being totally disabled he can't afford it, and even though I have been picking up the tab most times and would be willing to continue, I have 3 girls in college and money has been going to them for school as well as paying for their months overseas studying abroad so it'll be tight until they all graduate.

What I am in search of for my friend is a place to shoot outdoors. The state range in Glastonbury or up in Naugatuck are fine but aren't open now.
    Growing up a group of friends and I used to shoot at various outdoor sand pits and shooting areas off the beaten path including my own property but now all of these places I wouldn't dare to for fear of neighbors or someone reporting the gunfire.

All i'm looking for is if anyone knows of an area like a secluded spot in the woods or a sand pit that people are currently using to shoot at that this guy can go to and shoot.
    I know its not the early 80's anymore where places like that can be found almost everywhere, but there's got to be a place like that around the Central CT area.
    If you know of a place where people still go to and fire off a few rounds without the worry of being arrested for trespassing or discharging a firearm, please PM me.
    Thanks guys.

If you still have that private property I don't see why you cant shoot on it, unless houses are too close or its banned in the town.
    I don't think its any kind of a crime to discharge firearms outside of a city limit just because someone doesn't like it.

He should look into joining a local club. That's the best option.

Yes I still have the property however there have been complaints against me by neighboring landowners, one complaint in fact was that I shot toward a home more than 500 feet away and the "pellets" (the complainant told the police I was shooting a shotgun) hit their home. When the tactical team came in search of me in the woods and found me, yes the tactical team (2010 Southington PD) with AR 15's drawn down on me they noticed I had a rifle and a deer was shot.
    The person who called in the complaint "thought" his home was being shot at and obviously the PD had to respond. I have no ill feelings toward the LEO's that where doing their jobs as they had to investigate these claims, but they found no evidence that I did anything wrong.
    3-weeks later I was out there shooting and again, another complaint this time only 2 officers and they waited for me at the public road, again I was legal. So from that point on only bow's and arrows out there.

As far as him joining, I wish he could.. $500 initial fee to come on board which includes the 1st years dues. So it is cost prohibitive to a guy getting no more than $1,200 per month in disability.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    As far as him joining, I wish he could.. $500 initial fee to come on board which includes the 1st years dues. So it is cost prohibitive to a guy getting no more than $1,200 per month in disability.
    Wow that's a lot of coin to get started. I pay less tha $80.00 a year for a family membership. Are there any more reasonable clubs around?

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Look for a different club.
    People get picky and down right stuck up about what a club offers.
    For example, I am a member of the Suffield sportsmans association. I'm glad to be there. I have a few friends that are members of the Hartford gun club in East Granby and they say my club sucks because it doesn't offer all the things that theirs does.(200 yard range, skeet, etc)
    But I don't pay $600/year to be involved unlike Hartford gun club.

Clubs like mine are more of a hunting club. Shooting clubs tend to offer more, but the shooting clubs around here seem to cost more.

My club has a trap range, 100 yard rifle range and pistol ranges. They also stock pheasant and have a pond. I don't need anything beyond that.

For a long time my dues were $50/year. Now they just went up to $165 per year. But that's still a joke compared to a lot of other clubs.

Good luck, you don't have many choices in this state:
    1) someone who owns a lot of undeveloped land, allows you to shoot on it, in a town that doesn't prohibit it
    2) state run ranges
    3) join a club or pay the guest fee
    4) commercial ranges (Hoffmans, Delta Arsenal, Blue Trail)

You could head to the Green Mountain National Forest in VT and shoot away, but if $20 is prohibitive, you'll spend that in gas to get there and back.

I've tried to figure out where I can go to practice self defense pistol drills, and there just isn't anywhere in CT unless you have land or join a club.

Yea if $20 is prohibitive, then he should get out of shooting all together. That's the sad reality of it.
    No way its gonna cost less.
    If he was a member of a club where he wasn't paying the $20, he'd pay yearly dues to shoot whenever he wanted to. End result is he'd spend more cause he could shoot every day.

Yup, everyone has good points on this.
    No place anymore to go out into a sandpit and shoot, actually there are many places like that still in this state and knowing the right people will get you into them but other than that he is outta luck.

The cost is prohibitive to him and so is the ammo, I have been giving him ammo whenever we go out and paying his way as a guest at my clubs range for a while but I won't be any more.
    Nice guy and all with no family, just trying to give him a hand as he has been dealing with health issues for years now.

Images
    i'd keep going to your hunting property. sounds like you're legal. soon enough the police will inform the "complainers" of that.