Thread: Mass. Deer totals reach new record

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images

Mass. Deer totals reach new record

Massachusetts is becoming a destination state when you talk about deer hunting. The reason is hunters bagged more deer here, a record in fact, than our neighbor to the north, New Hampshire.
    Biologists have been working on various regions of the state to build up the deer population. Now a new state record has fallen with 12,493 deer harvested during the fall seasons. These seasons include 109 deer taken during the youth hunt, four during the paraplegic hunt, the shotgun season netted 4,766, primitive firearms season 2,519 and the big score was the archery season that saw 5,095 whitetails taken home.
    The reason for the record harvest was very favorable conditions in all the districts. Snow on the ground was a help for tracking, a great mast crop, healthy deer and hunter effort all were contributors.
    The bear season ended with the second-best total on record. There were 268 bruins taken statewide.
    A couple of interesting bears with tracking collars took a hike this fall to elude hunters' bullets. One such bear was tagged in West Brookfield and was last seen in Keene, N.H. Yet another was tagged in New Salem and was last seen in Brattleboro, Vt., and both were females with cubs. I don't think they liked having their new necklaces.
    Today is the last day for the Sportsmen's Show at the Holiday Inn in Boxborough on Route 111. The show ends at 5 p.m.
    This past week the Senate passed a pair of bills that needed changing.

Bill Biswanger's email is bboutdoor1@aol.com

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/latestnews/...#ixzz55gF3uJ7b
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

It will be interesting to see how this compares with CT's totals. I know many are not seeing much. I've seen plenty when not out hunting or on trail cams outside of hunting hours. Interestingly enough on one property I hunt a very heavily used trail (about 530PM to 2AM) was suddenly empty after 19 Jan for no reason I can fathom.

11818 in CT total.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
    11818 in CT total.
    Might looks like the herd is starting to recover some. When comparing the numbers you have to keep in mind that the Connecticut season is a month longer than the Massachusetts season. Thatís why you see so many Massachusetts plates the first month of the season.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire