Thread: Season limit question

Season limit question

Kind of a question mostly about seasons that wrap around the 1st of the year. Let's say squirrel, season limit of 40, season is Sept 1-Dec 31, Jan 1-Feb 28. Is September through February the season where the limit is counted, or is it counted by calendar year? For instance, I didn't shoot any squirrels in the fall. If I go out now and kill 40 this week, did I just fill my Sept-Feb season limit or am I now done squirrel hunting for 2018?

Images
    Just spoke with an ENCON Officer. He said the 40 limit applies to the season as September 1st to the end of February. So if you shoot 40 in February youíre still able to shoot 40 next fall.

Edit: This question has generated quite the conversation. It makes a big difference in how itís interpreted. Getting a definitive answer from his Sergeant for me tomorrow.
    Last edited by WoodsmanA; 01-06-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Licenses run from Jan. 1 - Dec. 31. It wouldn't make sense a limit would be from Sept to Feb. But, I've never shot a limit of squirrels or rabbits, so it was always a moot point.

Also, to add other species: I'm told a deer shot in Jan. (zones 11/12), would get a replacement tag that can be used fall of same year. The January kills aren't included in 2017, they will be 2018.

Last edited by TooManyHobbies; 01-06-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Youíre right Brian. Confirmed with DEEP today thatís itís based on calendar year. So you get 40 squirrels in a year. If you shoot all 40 in February, youíre SOL in the fall.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Season bag limits

The season date starts Jan 1st. and runs through the end of February then picks up again in Sept. through the end of December. It runs on a calendar year. Therefore if you shoot 40 squirrels between Jan - the end of Feb. for example, you have taken your season bag limit for the year. You would not be able to shoot more in the fall. The hunting guide specifies the season starting in Jan, not Sept.