Thread: 12/19 - Saltwater Mixed Bag

Images

12/19 - Saltwater Mixed Bag

Loaded up the truck this morning and hit the road for the shore at 4:30 am. Long drive for me but I enjoy heading down there. Changes up the fowling a bit later in the season. Everything up here near me is still frozen anyways. Minimal birds around. Picked up DU CT along the way. We got to our spot at 5:45. Set out 18 mallard and black duck decoys, tucked in and waited for legal light. Had legal been just a couple minutes earlier we would have had some great opportunities on some groups of lesser scaup. They got the pass. Oh well. Legal came on and some mallards decoyed just out of range to our right. It wasn't long until more came in and we dropped a pair. A hen merganser decoyed in, surprisingly, and in the low light it actually looked like a mallard for a brief second. So that slot in our bag was wasted. I'll use it for trapping bait. Cool looking birds anyways. The black ducks we expected to see didn't move until later. They didn't seem to care about our spread either. We only had an opportunity on a pair. Dropped one. A group of four Canadas gave us a look too and we scratched out one. Later on we had shots on passing long tails that were screaming by. Dropped two. Such beautiful birds. When we began picking up brant started pouring in in huge groups. Numbers in upwards of 300. That was awesome to see. Most were well out of range but one groups circled twice in front of us and finally gave us an acceptable range to get them on the pass. We had five opportunities on buffleheads as well - the same pair kept zipping in and out of the bay. Each time they were well within range but they took us by surprise and we never got a shot of on them. Fast flippin' birds. It ended up being a really great hunt with some unexpected action and a nice six-species mixed bag. If it wasn't so damn warm today I think the birds would have been moving even more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Nice mixed bag, congrats. Are any of them going to the taxidermist?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Great story and beautiful birds! Way to work all day for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

man those long tails are pretty!!!

12 Point
    Nice job!!

Some pretty birds in that bunch. Congrats and thanks for sharing!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Nice mixed bag, congrats. Are any of them going to the taxidermist?
    Thanks. The better of the two long tails is off to get mounted

Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com