Thread: Coyote trapping

Coyote trapping

If i buy non rubber jaw traps and they are 6 inside width, but jerry rig rubber to them and they now have an opening of 5 15/16 inside width is that legal or do I need to buy the traps with rubber jaws already attached?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac3641 View Post
    If i buy non rubber jaw traps and they are 6 inside width, but jerry rig rubber to them and they now have an opening of 5 15/16 inside width is that legal or do I need to buy the traps with rubber jaws already attached?
    If you don't already own the traps, just buy legal size traps that meet state regs. Yeah its only 1/16th of an inch but it's up to the officer in the field to decide in this case if the padding you add counts toward the inside width. He/she honestly will probably go with the manufacturers specs anyways. So 6" would be technically illegal even with your padding. I've never heard of an officer actually checking trap dimensions in the field. Just be honest and ethical about your trapping and you'll never run into an issue over this.

If you're going to rig something up with your own rubber it has to be replaceable non-weather or age hardening padding not less than 3/32 inches thick and securely affixed to the arms of the trap (see the reg). Standard nut and bolt attachement with a metal pad plate is the only way I'd say a pad is securely affixed. Again, this would be up to interpretation. There is so much gray area here it's not even worth any potential problems. Spend the extra couple bucks and buy padded or soft catch traps and save yourself the time and trouble.

Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Ya that sounds like an easier route to take. Thanks for the info.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome to the site Jay. I agree with Woodsman, although we make modifications sometimes, go with what works.
    If you catch some, you have to post pics. We love pics.

NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.