Thread: Squirrel Hunting Newbie

Squirrel Hunting Newbie

Deer season will be over soon and rather than calling it a season I will be taking my .22 out to some state land.
    During the shotgun season where I hunt on state land I notice many squirrels all around. Same with my private land area, they are everywhere!

Anyway I never hunted or eaten squirrel, but do want to see if its something I want to continue doing.

So my questions are as follows:

Shooting my scoped Marlin .22... (I'm also thinking of picking up up a .22 caliber air rifle for this) but would shooting from a tree stand and letting the squirrels come to me as I see most of them this way, would this be considered legal?
    I don't see anywhere in the hunting guide saying that it wouldn't, I just don't want to be out there when suddenly I'm approached by ENCON and be accused of hunting deer with a .22 because i'm in an elevated stand.
    I feel that sitting still from a slightly elevated position would be better than walking through the woods trying to locate them. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, and I will check out You-tube, but skinning, easy on a squirrel? I handle gutting, skinning and butchering deer so I wouldn't think this would be too complicated. Any thoughts on skinning and butchering too?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Sitting motionless on the ground will yeild the same results. Key word being motionless. In my experience i dont see too many while walking but sit still for 20 or 30 minutes and the trees come alive. Natural cover like a blowdown helps too.find an area that you know has em and wait. Good luck.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    You can be in a tree, the squirrel can be in a tree, or you both can be in a tree..or on the ground. Nothing illegal about it. Actually it would be safer shooting down at them. Skinning/dressing should take all of 1-2 minutes. Some good youtube vids on it. Really easy.
    Go find some hickory trees if no acorns around. I have one spot that's loaded with squirrels due to the hickories, all my other spots are pretty barren. Get at'em and good luck.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Good point. Definitely safer to shoot down into the ground then up into the air
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Theres nothing illegal about hunting squirrels from a tree stand. Not much benefit to it either I think. The way I see it, what would you do if you were an officer and found someone in a tree stand off season? At the very least your getting grilled. Sitting in a tree stand may not be worth the aggravation.

Also, make sure the state land your hunting isn't a permit required area or state leased land. Even if it is ever a permit required area(say from Oct-Dec for pheasant), it becomes a gray area to me. In such cases, you cannot use that .22, shotguns only.

Images
    Sitting on the ground will be just fine. Find a spot, sit, wait ten or fifteen minutes and the squirrels will start moving. Listen for them rustling on the ground or for branches clacking together as they move up in the trees. Scan the trees constantly. Most of the time they move throughout their canopy highways and you won't even know they're there. I've found that squirrels generally don't care about your precense in the woods, especially if you're sitting mostly still and not making any quick movements. I've been sitting with a .22 in my lap while whittling a stick with a knife and have had squirrels come down the trunk of a tree ten yards away and stare at me. Sometimes I've noticed individual squirrels are easy to pattern. During fall when they're cutting acorns and nuts you'll see one running the same branches, same side of the trunk, same ground to where their harvest is falling. Take advantage of this and beat position yourself for a clean shot. Squirreling can be quite a challenge and it can help increase your marksmanship over time. Tiny animals that are always moving and you have to thread a small piece of lead through the trees to connect with them. That's what I enjoy about it. Good luck.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Thank you all. Some good info.

I'll take the advice and sit still on the ground, safer than climbing a tree and can move from area to area quicker too and I won't be hassled by anyone thinking I may be hunting deer with a .22 rifle on state land.

State land i'm going isn't permit required or leased, I looked into that, so i'm good there.

I also found this web site with many game recipes including squirrel as well as video links to Youtube, so in one place I have recipes and skinning video's.
    I was also able to save the site to my phone.

https://www.realtree.com/timber-2-table

Will post photos of what I get when I go.

Thanks again!