Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Evening Buck

Opening Evening Buck

I don't think in all my years of hunting that I've made a kill on opening day. And I've always felt I was dealt an unlucky card in that regard. Changed that yesterday.

Out after school, and in the stand by 3:15. Passed five deer already out feeding in the fields on my way in.

First came the doe, who continued to look back into the woods, then I saw the object of her glances. He stayed in the tree line about 10 yards for a good five minutes while she fed. As she moved further, he decided he had to break into the field. I looked at him a couple times through the scope and just couldn't make up my mind. His headgear looked small compared to the rest of him. Then something clicked in my head... And I decided I was gonna take him.

Hit front shoulder from 135 yds. Watched him bound into the woods. I got down and soon found blood that got better as I progressed...that's when I jumped him. Backed out and burned a couple hours before resuming the recovery.

Back on good blood, not too far from where I jumped him. He was hurt, but not dead. Long story short...he's hanging in the cooler and weighed in at 225lbs dressed. First time I ever weighed a deer. Treat helped me drag him out, and we finally broke the field at 9:30.

This old bugger is missing most of his teeth, and beyond his prime by my observations...hands down the biggest bodied deer I've ever shot. And on opening day...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by S2H; 11-27-2017 at 05:53 PM.

That's a big boy! Congratulations.

wow congrats heavy deer!!! congrats

Congrats on the old grey faced buck, he's a nice one.

Nice ol fatty
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

That's a good one. Your lucky you didn't lose him though from jumping him. What a shame that would've been.

Great buck! Congrats on a nice kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Great looking buck, Scott. Congrats!!
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Nice looking buck congrats scott...
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Congrats. He fills that sled up. Little bit of a roman nose?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.