Thread: Good day

Good day

What a good day to be out in the woods. I am glad I save vacation time for hunting....here's why:

Wife and I hunt a large parcel in Suffield. Today was just me. And the weather couldn't possibly have been better.
    I have 4 tree stands on this piece of land. I had only hunted this one stands once during archery and nothing turned up.
    I went out with my .303 British, hard sights. I am good with that gun for about 65 yards or so. After that, its iffy. I had not gotten my scope on the 30-06 yet and at this point, I wish I had. This particular stand is definitely a rifle w/scope stand as I can see in some directions/areas, clear beyond 100 yards.

Well things worked out anyways. Wind was where I needed it....exactly. Wind movement was barely noticeable running from my 10'oclock direction to my 4'oclock direction which is exactly what I needed.
    At 715 I had 2 does and 1 buck come in. They came out of a trench to my left, 10 o'clock position, give or take 70 yards out. I started to raise my rifle to get them sighted up even though this wasn't the time to shoot, too many trees and a little too far away. I wanted the buck. I originally set off this season saying I wanted a doe, but this guy was big. I couldn't count the rack, but it was at least a chucky 6 point and his weight had to be north of 180. So he was my primary target. After 2 minutes of holding that rifle up, they weren't going anywhere. I wondered if I had been made, but I think that they might have caught movement out of the corner of their eyes so they were suspicious.
    Eventually they finally started moving, from my left to my right. I slowly moved the gun with them. The buck just wasn't giving me a respectable shot. But the bigger of the two does did, full broad side shot, give or take 65 yards. So just like that, she became my primary target. I let it fly, and she dropped right there. The buck and the other doe started running all over the place in circles, his tail was up. I took a shot at him, but missed. I then put a second shot through the already shot doe, to help seal the deal.
    She died in about 5 minutes or so.
    After about 40 minutes, I decided to get down. I had clear sight of her, about 70 yards away as she managed to drag her self about 5 yards. I combed the area over to look for a blood trail from the buck, but there was none. I take some comfort in knowing he isn't wounded because his tail was up the whole time he ran off.

I put the scope on my other gun now. Had I done that, I would've gotten the much larger deer. However, I am very thankful for this one, and she is currently hanging in the garage.

Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Congrats Mountain man! She'll eat well
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

congrats man nothing wrong with a doe for the freezer!!! well done!!!!

Congrats on your nice Doe.

Congrats and thanks for sharing the story

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Looks like a nice mature doe, congrats.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Way to go man, congrats! Sounds like a great day out in the woods.

That's a pretty good hunt when it plays out like you hope...congrats on that nice doe.