Thread: Gypsy moths

Images

Gypsy moths

Anyone else having trouble with the lack of acorns from the caterpillar damage , deer patterns are way off in areas Iíve hunted for 20 years . I couldnít find a fresh acorn for miles itís actually pretty incredible, never seen anything like it

Gypsy moths

I scouted a new spot this year and it was loaded with deer trails and oak trees. Hardly an acorn on the trees so Iím guessing itís not going to be the hot spot I hoped it was. On my own land not only were there no acorns but the missing leaves opened up the canopy quite a bit. Maybe that helped the low level browse...

Ive heard alot of guys saying that but i have a pretty average amount of acorns on my property. Strange how its different in some places.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Yup, same here. I haven't heard a nut drop or found one on the ground. NE CT private land. I've felt, if you can find the squirrels, the deer will be close. The only spot I have that has an abundance of squirrels, also has a bunch of shagbark hickories. I watched 8 at one time from that stand, still no deer....I've never seen deer eat a hickory nut.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Yup, same here. I haven't heard a nut drop or found one on the ground. NE CT private land. I've felt, if you can find the squirrels, the deer will be close. The only spot I have that has an abundance of squirrels, also has a bunch of shagbark hickories. I watched 8 at one time from that stand, still no deer....I've never seen deer eat a hickory nut.
    Same here. The squirrels at my house got FAT on hickories this year. As far as location goes, those moths devastated some areas and others right next to it were fine.

Images
    We got slammed second year in a row by them and there are no acorns here.

It is so bad they have declared areas of Pachaug state forest public health risks due to the dead and dying oak stands.

They have already started logging areas off while the wood is still able to be harvested.

It's been slow as far as seeing deer sign but I have already seen over 40 deer on state land, only 1 shooter buck so far.

The Will Can Not Be Broken