Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Not Waterfowl. I Promise. Buck Down.

Images

It's Not Waterfowl. I Promise. Buck Down.

Well, landowner deer season opened today and the best part of being able to walk out the back door to hit the woods is not waking up any earlier than I normally would. The dog, like a clock, had me up at 5:45 to go out. We came back inside and I made some coffee as she chowed her breakfast. I sat on the couch and let my coffee, black as the night, uppercut me awake. I contemplated how I wanted the morning to go and what trails I was going to take. Seeing as I have zero patience to sit in a tree stand for any meaningful amount of time (I sat for 6 hours once during bow season and that was enough to keep me out of stands for another few years), I intended to do some slow stalking throughout my woods. So getting in right at first light is no problem. It's not hard to move slow around here. I live in billy goat country and the top of my property sits at 1500 feet. So the hills keep things slow. 6:45 AM came around and I'm thinking to myself, "Yep, time to get ready." I checked the outside temperature and the thermometer read 25 degrees! So I put on a pair of wool socks and the jeans I've been wearing to work all week and my warm red flannel jacket. Slipped on my muckers and a thin pair of gloves and out the door I went with my Marlin Lever .35 Remington.

Legal light came at 6:55 am and as I ascended the first hill the sunrise was incredible. After marveling at its beauty my gun sling decided to break so off it came. All the better, that damn thing was always in the way. I spent some good time slow stalking my way around the woods, fooled by the many sounds of squirrels. Few deer tracks here and there. Some droppings. As I made it through the area I call "Deer Grand Central Station" I thought to myself, "I haven't kicked any deer up yet, hmmm, who am I kidding here?" All summer long I was getting 1500 pictures a week from this spot. Bucks, doe, little ones. I didn't walk into the woods completely blind. I have a fairly good idea of the deer population around here and I was nearly positive I knew where a good number of them were bedding. But it's now November and patterns have changed. "Oh well, it is what it is" I thought as I made my way to the stone wall at the northwest corner of the property. I sat down on the stone wall and took in the quiet and the tranquil feeling of being no where close to another human being. Then after a quick chug of water I was back on foot, feeling a bit more impatient so the pace was not nearly as slow. It was not long however until the morning was about to change...

As I was walking parallel to my north boundary I heard a slight rustling up ahead. My heart started to pump but it was only a few seconds until I saw three large tom turkeys milling about in the leaves. They ran for only about 10 yards before slowing down and deciding to not care about my presence. I decided to post up against a tree and watch them a bit. I've never seen turkeys or any turkey sign in this area of my property so I was intrigued to learn from them. It was pretty awesome just watching them and in that moment I recall thinking to myself that the morning had been worth it just seeing these beautiful birds. But five minutes or so later all three birds popped their heads high towards the sky. They were alert to something. Then I heard some light crunching coming from my north. My first thought was coyote but the crunching sounds got heavier. So then I started thinking, "Oh crap, bear..." My heart started pounding. The turkeys were not moving but they were intently focused on something. The crunching of leaves was getting closer and closer. I slowly turned to better face the direction the sound was coming from, hugged up against a tree and waited. Then I saw brown...

That deer made it 20 yards through a patch of thicker brush before it put it's nose to the ground. It picked up my trail. I had just walked where he was standing 10 minutes prior. He took one step forward, nose still to the ground. "Crap, no shot!" Another step. Still no shot. There's the adrenaline. "I think my heart just vacated my chest... Come on give me a shot!" He made it about another five yards and while quartering towards me a wide open window between two hemlock trees opened up. I stared down the barrel and lined up the irons. Crack!! Off he took to my left. "Did I miss?!" But before he disappeared into some brush I vividly remember seeing his tail tucked hard. I settled down the heart rate for a moment. The damn turkeys were still standing there. When I got to the point where he was standing when I pulled the trigger I found blood. Not much but it was bright red and chunky. "Lung shot... good." The trail disappeared immediately but I had a few scuff marks in the leaves to work with. 20 yards later I picked up on a few blood drops again. "Hmmm, should I hold off and give him some time?" But five yards after that it started... He was spraying blood. Tracked him for about 100 yards, give or take, and found him dead under some hemlocks.

The rack isn't big but I don't give a sh!t about horns. His body is big and the meat is where it's at. I knelt down over him right in those first moments and with my hand on his head I thanked him in a moment of silence. Took some pictures, texted a few people and then gutted him on the spot. At 9:20 AM my good friend John arrived to help me drag. He carried up my trapping sled and we put the deer in it. It sure made the drag a lot easier but it still took us over an hour to get it back to my shed. What a good workout!

What a great morning!

Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Awesome! Congrats. I would of been happy too just to watch the toms.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Images
    Not sure why the pics didn't show up in the original post. Here's a few:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Ale yeah! Are you sure you didn't take a scent free bath or wear any camouflage?? Way to get it done on such a cool day. Now you can relax until November 10th!!! Quack Quack....

12 Point
    Full freezer happiness

Images
    Very happy for you man, congrats! What a beautiful morning it was to be out, sounds like you had a perfect hunt.

wow congrats, there are certain things in life that you can predict..... and this story was not one of them, Great job and glad you got out..

Congrats, Adam...nice write-up.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Congrats Adam, nice write up. 32* here this AM, I saw nothing from my perch.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.