Thread: Opening Day/New Regs

Images

Opening Day/New Regs

Got out nice and early this am and headed to 1 of my favorite opening day spots. Pulling in I had a feeling something was wrong when there was only 2 other cars there. Regardless I park and wait figuring people will start showing up. Sunrise was getting closer and only 1 more car pulled in. Thinking maybe they didnt stock pheasant here this year pull up deep website and see the regs changed and now a daily permit for these certain areas for Saturdays is needed and only in a certain time frame can you hunt. Theres other public spots that these regs are also in affect. Let the other 3 people that were there know about the changes. They also had no idea. Drive 45 min to 1 of my other locations that they also stopped stocking pheasants at this year and was able to still get out there early enough to beat the heat. Ended up limiting out on cottontails by 11.20171021_130626.jpg

Way to salvage the hunt. It's crappie they closed some nice areas out my way as well but at least it will benefit other small game hunters with less crowds out there now.

Images
    Ya less crowds are nice but since they dont stock pheasant they dont cut rows into the brush now. Makes it nearly impossible to get through the stuff and get a good clean shot in.

Ya. I checked out our spot that you were at yesterday and boy is it thick. Got our work cut out to get in there. I went in with my son in the evening to try and call some yotes but it looks nothing like it did last year. Ended up shooting a couple squirrels instead.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Images
    Ya its crazy what it looks like compared to last year. Only a heavy snow will help knock it all down. Doesnt look like there was much deer activity through there this year also.

You won't see any deer sign there until well into winter. They have too much to eat with the cup cornfields and acorns to be down there. I can't wait for winter to hit though. This weather is tough for hunting
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---