Thread: 10-20-17 WaterFowl Hunting with Rider

10-20-17 WaterFowl Hunting with Rider

Got the pleasure of hunting with CTRider (Matt) this morning on a piece of state land close to his house. “Rider” has been scouting this area after work for several days and yesterday was no exception. The scout report for Thursday afternoon was numerous wood ducks, a few mallards, and a group of geese that he said dumped in late. We met at the spot around 0545 this morning and made our way through the woods with our waders on. We decided it be best to leave the kayak in the truck instead of trying to pack it to the back side of the swamp through the woods. After the quick walk we split up by 15 yards or so and waited for first light. Shortly before legal we heard the geese honking followed by the sound of mallards and wood ducks. They were across the small swamp from where we sat, but with the wind we were in a great spot for flybys / fly-outs. Just a few minutes before legal shooting light a group of mallards dumped in a little out of range from Matt but flew off shortly. A couple minutes later it was game on and a couple flew by in which Rider blasted a shot and missed. I remember thinking to myself that the hunt could be over, but boy was I WRONG! Birds started going crazy and the geese picked up honking along the way. Little did we know with the wind they were going to all circle right by us. When the group of geese came over we managed to both tee off on one and it cart wheeled into the water. I heard Matt whisper that the bird was swimming and I thought to jump up and run to put it down but several mallards dumped in immediately and we both blasted. Those birds were on Matt’s side and I believe he killed both. I remember feeling like my head was spinning trying to keep an eye on the wounded goose and all the birds flying. Suddenly two wood ducks come in right beside me and I kill both of them. After a few more minutes another group of geese take off and circle around and we smash another one. As of now we’ve been hunting 15 maybe 20 minutes and have 2 mallards, 2 wood ducks, and two geese. I will admit we missed several other birds in between those. We then decided that it be best to get the kayak in the water and start retrieving. We found all the birds very quickly with the exception of the first goose we shot. After looking for close to an hour in the swamp and all through the woods we called it quits. The lesson I learned on this hunt is to run down a wounded bird and finish it off even if it spooks other birds. I guess my mind was telling me that it was hit twice and flipped with a huge splash in the water and was surely going to die. Anyways, what’s done is done but I’m sick we lost a bird. All in all a wonderful morning with lots of action and birds flying everywhere. We even had birds trying to dive in while Rider was out on the kayak. Great day for waterfowl hunting! Can’t wait for the last day of early season with the NW boys tomorrow. Good hunting to all!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bishopreid83; 10-20-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Anyone know how to turn the pictures on a post? They look right when i open them on my computer...

Well done, meat well earned....looks like we have a few deer hunter converts on our hands.....it happened to me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Nice write up bud, glad to have you along! Was a great morning but particularly special for getting my first mallard drake.

Quote Originally Posted by Du Ct View Post
    Well done, meat well earned....looks like we have a few deer hunter converts on our hands.....it happened to me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks DU. We owe a lot to you and Adam getting us interested and bringing us into the field to get our feet wet and taste success.

Images
    You do the work you reap the reward. You guys earned those birds. Sounds like a great morning. Congrats guys!
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Nice job guys. Always nice to get a mixed bag like that. Those greenheads are nice and fully plumed. I'm still seeing juvies with eclipse plumage around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard870 View Post
    Nice job guys. Always nice to get a mixed bag like that. Those greenheads are nice and fully plumed. I'm still seeing juvies with eclipse plumage around me.
    Looks like I missed a photo that really shows it off. This one was text book

12 Point
    Nicely done!!