Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some clarification

Need some clarification

I understand that you cant carry a firearm during bow season and i understand why. My question is about possesing in your vehicle. I normally will go deer hunting after work with my bow, but once in a while if i get out of work late or if traffic is bad and i dont have time to get into the stand i like to just go for squirrel on another property. Is it legal to have a bow and a firearm IN YOUR TRUCK at the same time? My brother in law says i can be arrested for that and if thats the case i need to know this. Thanks in advance for any info.

---==SEMPER-FI==---

I say yes that's totally legal. But you cant just leave your 9 sitting on the seat of your truck. If you don't actually have physical possession of your firearm its supposed to be in a locked container and that container is supposed to be secured to the vehicle somehow. Even leaving it in a locked glove compartment is, at best, a gray area.

Much easier to leave the gun at home.

Hmm. I'm talking about a shotgun or a 17 long rifle. I do keep a trigger lock on both and there is a padlock on the ammo can. I'm not really sure how you would go about securing that to the vehicle though.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

And that is why I asked. Because I want to make sure to follow all laws. No squirrel or coyote is worth a charge
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

12 Point
    You are not hunting when the bow and unloaded (+secured) firearm are in your truck. If you were, a DEEP officer could just as easily charge you with illegally hunting with your wrench set. What matters is what you have in your hands when out actually hunting.

It would be a judgement call on the DEEP officer's part no matter what but as long as you are set up so that a reasonable person can easily ascertain that you are not trying to use both at the same time and/or from your truck, then you you are golden, IMHO.

Button Buck
    You should be okay as long as you keep the firearm in the trunk. That's usually what I do when I'm transporting them to and from the shooting range

Locking up firearms isn't for when you are in your truck, its when your not.
    Most people don't follow that law. When you are out archery hunting and were to leave your rifle/shotgun in your vehicle and someone were so inclined to peer through your windows, you should be ok as long as no one can see the gun.
    But legally I do believe that unattended firearms are supposed to be locked up. This is especially important now with frequent car break ins and such.
    The days of leaving your shotgun hanging in your back window are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
    Locking up firearms isn't for when you are in your truck, its when your not.
    Most people don't follow that law. When you are out archery hunting and were to leave your rifle/shotgun in your vehicle and someone were so inclined to peer through your windows, you should be ok as long as no one can see the gun.
    But legally I do believe that unattended firearms are supposed to be locked up. This is especially important now with frequent car break ins and such.
    The days of leaving your shotgun hanging in your back window are long gone.
    This is from the OLR:
    https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/rpt/pdf/2016-R-0328.pdf

In your locked vehicle is legal. Not in plain sight is common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegauth30 View Post
    I understand that you cant carry a firearm during bow season and i understand why. My question is about possesing in your vehicle. I normally will go deer hunting after work with my bow, but once in a while if i get out of work late or if traffic is bad and i dont have time to get into the stand i like to just go for squirrel on another property. Is it legal to have a bow and a firearm IN YOUR TRUCK at the same time? My brother in law says i can be arrested for that and if thats the case i need to know this. Thanks in advance for any info.
    There is no issue having both in your vehicle at the same time.

Carrying Handguns in Motor Vehicles. By law, when handguns are being transported in a motor vehicle, they must be unloaded and kept in a place (1) not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment or (2) locked container other than the glove compartment or console. A violation carries a penalty of one to five years imprisonment, a fine of up to $1,000, or both, with a mandatory minimum one-year sentence in the absence of mitigating circumstances. Any handgun found in the violator's possession must be forfeited (CGS 29-35 and 29-37).
    Carrying Long Guns in Motor Vehicles When long guns are being transported in a vehicle or snowmobile, they must be unloaded. A violation is a class D misdemeanor (see Table on Penalties), punishable by imprisonment for up to 30 days, a fine of up to $250, or both (CGS 53-205 as amended by PA 12-80). The provisions do not apply to members of the military while on duty or travelling to or from assignments enforcement officers, security guards, or other people employed to protect property while in the performance of their duties.

Button Buck
    Thank you very much, Capt. Keith! That definitely clarified things.