Thread: 10/17 Colder Weather Woodies

10/17 Colder Weather Woodies

Was a beautiful morning this morning. Made the paddle to setup under star light and a sliver of moon. Fog wisping off the water was a sure sign of cold morning air hitting the warmer water.

Tossed out the dekes and stashed the yaks and stood waist deep along the shore waiting for the magic moment. About 3 mins before legal a pair of woodies sailed into the blocks only 10yds away. They stuck around till legal and my buddy was able to load and jump them taking the drake. A few other birds nearby lifted and soon after another pair came in and I was able to take the drake cleanly. As it got lighter the day gave way to blue skies and little wind but the nip of cold weather was a constant promise of the action to come. Around 7 A large group around 8 or so whipped by and hooked as if they were going to light right in the decoys but veered off to my right. A quick swing of the gun produced a young hen. The last bird to work the spread around quarter of followed the last flocks flight path but sharply hooked back around hugging our shoreline which took me by surprise. He zipped by just a few feet off the water but caught me fumbling my gun and b lined straight away. First shot was sloppy but the second sent him cork screwing to the deck. A nice juvie drake to fill out my limit. Sometimes one side of the blind seems to get all the action but my buddy was a good sport saying he enjoyed watching a rare moment of me being consistently on.

All in all a nice morning, seeing about 15 or so total woodies between flyers and on the way out. Mallards weren't thick in this spot yet, maybe 5 or 6 and geese were roosted thick across the other end of the pond. A hundred or so strong. Looking forward to this Saturday but not so much to the temps they're calling for this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Nice shooting Mallard. Congrats on the limit. Glad to hear others are out there chasing birds. Was such a nice weather morning! Some clouds would have been good though. Good luck this coming Saturday!

I made it out for a quick hunt this morning. Knee deep water clear across a swamp. Set out the dekes. Few minutes before legal three mallards gave a clean pass and wanted to commit but they saw me and moved on. About 20 or so woodies were flying early but only a pair came screaming my way to give a look at the decoys. First shot I feathered him. He put on the brakes in mid air and in that split second when he was hovering in place I dropped him. Beautiful drake. Was quiet otherwise.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Man that's a nice crest in the older drake you shot, Mallard. I thought I got a nice one but geez, what a nice looking bird!
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Nice job woodsman. That's a beautiful drake you have as well. My buddy and I were saying the same thing. Nice fully plumed mature drake. My uncle dabbles in taxedermy so I thought about saving it for him. Sat in the cooler on ice all day while I was at work but held great form so I decided to keep him in the freezer whole. My uncle did a beautiful 8pt mount for me in the past and has done several pheasant for himself. Even a few fish for his kids, so I know when he gets around to it, it will be worth the wait. Shot a lot of ducks and geese over the years and have always kicked myself for not putting some aside for mounting.

Keep getting out there, like you said it's nice to see someone else getting after em.