Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still early?

Still early?

Just curious as to what others think. Is it still a bit early to break out the grunt tubes and rattle bags? I know that the rut generally occurs near or around the second moon after the autumn equinox which was sept. 22 making the rutting moon nov. 4th. Being mid Oct. Do you guys start calling yet? Does calling too soon actually spook deer? What are your thoughts?

---==SEMPER-FI==---

made acouple light grunts an used a doe call got a doe to come in an see what was up took a shot but missed lol

I'm gonna use a doe call this Saturday.

that's what I that's what I figured being the third week in October. I did a little bit of grunting and a last-minute Hail Mary with the rattle bag last night but didn't see anything. My brother-in-law says he rattled A Buck in over the weekend but didn't get a shot. But he's also the guy that was rattling on the season opener. Who knows, I guess I'll just keep at it.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    I donít do much blind calling or rattling. I usually call when I see one but he/she isnít coming my way. You have little to lose at that point.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

The deer seem to be in that in between stage and excluding today's cold weather it hasn't helped. I was in the stand this morning and saw nothing. I did however inadvertently jump a very large buck from his bedding area. Anyways if I was to use calls,I'd be more inclined to be hitting the calls lightly on sighted deer rather blind calls. That being said,I haven't used one yet.
    Last edited by Deer jockey; 10-17-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Not to hijack the thread from the original question . Any of you guys getting a lot of daylight pics on your cams? For me personally it seems the frequency of daylight pics of bucks have peaked for now and most are trending towards night pics.

Thanks for the input fellas. As for the cams, i was getting plenty of daylight bucks right up till about 2 weeks ago. Now there mostly or really all at night.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

For the most part there's isn't a lot chatter on this site. So it's nice to a have good little discussion and hear what other people are seeing and experiencing. Seems we're in the same boat with the deer activity. The October lull might be starting earlier than normal?

Sitting here in my stand thinking about it and it dawned on me. I just shot a buck either 6 or 7 days ago at like 1:30 in the afternoon, so i guess i really cant say i havent been getting any daylight activity. That was on a full moon and its been my experience that i see more in the day on a full moon. They just havent really been on my cams in the light for a couple of weeks
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---