Thread: Opening Day Pheasant

12 Point

Opening Day Pheasant

Despite the warm temps my son and I decided to work the dog Sat AM for pheasant. 3 flushes and 3 birds at our first stop hunting some of the thickest cover I have ever hunted. Took a ride north to the Mass Vermont line to a management area I've wanted to check out along the CT river. Looks like a helluva goose spot with field of cut corn surrounding the area.

Worked a swamp in this area. She flushed a rooster which flew low so I passed on that bird with fears of "peppering" the dog. Worked further down the swamp to a a break where I thought that rooster and dumped into. Sent the dog in to investigate. She swam her way under the thick cover and I could tell even though I could not see her by the sound of her bell that she was birdy. Few minutes later I hear wings flapping and out of the thick cover she appears with a flapping hen she found hiding. So the final tally was 3 birds for my son and I and 1 for the dog Great half day hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job guys! I enjoyed your story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 Point
    >>> Like

Images
    Awesome job, cant wait for the opener here this weekend.

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by RABBIT HUNTER View Post
    Awesome job, cant wait for the opener here this weekend.
    Good luck!!! Is CT still having a season?? I thought there was talk of ending the pheasant season?

Nice job and great pup you got there.

While CT hasn't closed pheasant season it's headed in that direction with new restrictions on certain areas being quota hunts and some great areas in Eastern CT bring shut down entirely. I'm livid that they made the move to combine all turkey and pheasant tags into the Resident Stamp. For what? All that did was increase the number of turkey hunters in the spring with the cheaper tags and apparently reduce??? the amount of stocked areas. Scam.