Thread: 10/12 Quick Opener

10/12 Quick Opener

Took advantage of the 2 day split between goose and duck in our zone and decided to target some geese before work. Set up in a patch of standing corn around 6:00. Birds were heavy in the field last Friday so it was exciting to get back in the field with my father and brother for the first time this season. The morning didn't disappoint with clouds giving way as the wind picked up with temps that felt closer to fall. Around 6:45 the first bird of the morning, a single, passed high over the farm with no interest in any of the fields. Around 7 or so a group of a dozen surprised us as they dropped landing gear fast and hooked into the edge of the decoys. I stepped out of the corn and dropped my first bird but wiffed shots two and three. With only one bird down I thought no way we suck that bad or no way we all shot at the same bird. Turns out my father and brother never stepped out of the corn and tried shooting with all the husks blocking their view. We settled back in hoping that shook a season of rust off. Another flock worked the edge of the horizon and we pulled them in for a look. These birds seemed ultra alert and only circling once maybe low enough directly above us but figuring theyd swing around like the last group we waited. Pulled them back up off the pasture behind us as they swung around but they had enough. I'm positive I heard a sharp high pitched bark of a lesser mixed in with the lower moans of the Canadas which is awesome. The last group of the day was a flock of about 40 broken in two and they made as if they were committed but both groups came together right over the kill hole and veered off. They ended up landing further down in our field. Went up to shag them out and as the group wadded up getting nervous a single came out of nowhere. The geese all bunched up must've made him reconcider joining the live birds as I got to watch from 80yds as he cupped into the dekes and my brother dropped him. Was cool to watch from the off angle like that as that bird was committed from way out. Was a nice morning to spend in the field with family. The action was just a bonus.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mallard870; 10-12-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Images
    Good stuff Mallard. Keep at 'em. It's almost time for ducks!
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Sounds like a fun morning, congrats

Awesome... Congrats!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good deal. I went out yesterday for an afternoon goose hunt with a friend and you could've made a pile out of the rust I had to shake off. But still came home with 4.

12 Point
    Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    Good stuff Mallard. Keep at 'em. It's almost time for ducks!
    Give em hell this weekend. I'll be out of town till Sunday night but I'll be chasing ducks come Monday morning. Good luck fellas.

Decent migration of Lessers the last week or so.
    Nice job.

Button Buck
    Great stuff, glad to see you had success!!