Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat 10/7 Youth Waterfowl Hunt

12 Point

Sat 10/7 Youth Waterfowl Hunt

Although I do not do a lot of waterfowl hunting I do have access to a spot that always holds birds. Last Saturdays plan was to get my son and his friend a few birds, and give the dog a workout in preparation for my upcoming South Dakota upland hunting trip.

Arrived at the swamp after a long 4X4 ride deep into the woods. Set up or decoys using head lamps and got into the blind 30 min before legal shooting. Five minutes after legal shooting the first flock of mallards dropped in at the far end of the swamp. They decided to wait before firing for a few more minutes of light to arrive. Minutes later the the birds started dropping in 4-8 at a time. The shooting began with many misses. Birds would flush out after the shots then with some calling drop back in. Dog worked in between the flocks retrieving the downed birds delivering them to us one at a time.

Eventually their was a break in the action. We heard a "honk" and a small flock of geese were passing overhead. They started honking on their goose calls and got the flock to drop in at the far end of the swamp. I sent the dog in to flush them out and 5 of them took off like planes at Bradley right overhead where the boys bagged two of the five. Dog grabbed the geese one at a time for us.

With all that excitement it was time for a water break for us and the dog. While were were sitting talking about the action I look up and see a flock of woodies circling. Hit the woodie call and they drop in 40 yards out. Son rattles off two shots winging one. Dog goes in after the bird and comes back empty. Knowing something is just not right I send her back into the tall grass on the edge of the pond. There it is! Woodie flushes up flies 15 yards and drops. Dog grabs the flapping bird and brings it back to hand.

Great morning hunting. Ended the morning with two geese, three mallards and a female woodie. No jewelry on any of the birds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Awesome write up. Your dog sure does earn its keep.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Dogs are invaluable for waterfowl. Sounds like a great hunt. Good job.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Dogs are invaluable for waterfowl. Sounds like a great hunt. Good job.
    Thanks guys!!

Can't tell you how many times in the field and swamps she has found birds that others gave up on......spent many days paddling around swamps searching feather spots trying to find folded ducks

Button Buck
    Looks like a good haul! Happy eating later!

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by RedIvan16 View Post
    Looks like a good haul! Happy eating later!
    We pigged out Sunday!!! Homemade butternut maple pierogi's, maple glazed duck bread wrapped in fresh smoked bacon, and wild turkey (from spring) stuffed zucchini boats
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Great story! Awesome to see young hunters out for fowl. I was pretty excited about the hunt write up then I saw the food post! Eating like kings! I've been rolling my own dough and trying to make goose meat raviolis with parmesian and ricotta. Perogies are a good idea, too.

Congrats to your son and his friend.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    Great story! Awesome to see young hunters out for fowl. I was pretty excited about the hunt write up then I saw the food post! Eating like kings! I've been rolling my own dough and trying to make goose meat raviolis with parmesian and ricotta. Perogies are a good idea, too.

Congrats to your son and his friend.
    Thanks!! Kids love to shoot no doubt about that Those raviolis sound delicious. Our dough is simple 3 cups of pasta flour, 3 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 cup water

We use a hand pasta maker to roll out the dough

Awesome recap!! Sounds like a blast... Congrats!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hard not to have fun on a morning like that. A few birds on the ground and a good retriever working hard. Got me excited for the regular season here in CT.