Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally!!!

Finally!!!

Now going into my 3rd season of bow hunting i was finally able to connect. And the way it all went down still blows my mind. Heres what happened. Yesterday i got out of work quite early, around 1:00. With no intent on hunting, i drove to the farm to check some trail cams. On the way in, i spot 4 bucks up in the top field. Knowing that they still havent spotted me, i figured, what the hey, i got time, why not try a spot and stalk. Now, the deer are probably 400 yards away from me, so i back my truck behind a mountain of firewood and grab my bow. Figuring ill never get to within bow range anyway, i dont bother with a ghilly suit or even camo. Just go for it. So i got a pretty constant cross wind from the deer, so i start the long walk across the bottom field all the while thinking theyll probably move on before i even get to within eye sight of them. But much to my surprise , as i get to the edge of the field theyre in, theres now a 5th buck that joined the group. By now, i feel like im about to have a stroke or something. I can barely function im shaking so bad. But i still have a long way to go. I range them at 109 yds. Nothing but open field of tall grass and pricker bushes to deal with. So in the pouring rain, i begin the low crawl towards the group. This really brought me back to my Marine Corps days of low crawling through the mud. Lol. Anyway, pouring rain, wind in my face, i make my way slowly towards them. First 80 yds, then 70, then......
    After probably an hour of this, im finally about 26 yds from them and they know somethings not right. I laid there for what felt like forever watching as 2 or 3 would be head down eating, there was ALWAYS 1 or 2 watching. All of a sudden, i look and all 5 are head down. Nows my chance, and maybe my only chance. I get to my knees and draw back, and one looks up, right at me. Just when i thought i was busted, back to eating he goes. So i slowly stand up, full draw, put the pin on the vitals, deep breath, attempt to stop shaking, and release. In the confusion of bucks scattering, i had no clue if i hit my mark or not. So i sit back down to gather myself. Figuring i probably missed but was happy just at the progress i had made, i stand up and start my way towards where they last were. Getting close, i see exactly what i hoped to see. He only ran about 10 yards and piled up. Perfect shot! Got the heart and 1 lung. FINALLY. Thought it would never happen.

Attached Images Attached Images
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Congrats!!!! That's awesome

12 Point
    That was an exciting read!

It must have been even more awesome in person!

Congrats!

What a great story. That's one of the best I've read. Congratulations on a great buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys. It really does feel good. After two seasons I've never actually getting a shot, I got to say there was a couple times but I almost wanted to give up. It seems like it would never ever happen. But persistence pays off.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Images
    Exciting story. Congrats! Don't hear too many spot and stalk deer stories. Much more exciting than stand stories!
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Good job, great story. Next time around, better give the deer more time before you go find out what happened. I jumped a deer last season doing that and never found it. Talk about heart breaking. Don't let that happen to you, give it at least 45 minutes if not an hour or more. In this warm weather I would say 30 minutes minimum.

Button Buck
    What a great story! Congratulations, hope to be in your shoes some day!

Quote Originally Posted by RedIvan16 View Post
    What a great story! Congratulations, hope to be in your shoes some day!
    Keep at it and you will. I never in a million years thought that I would pull off a stalk like that, or even to try. But sometimes you just find yourself in the right place at the right time I guess.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Very nice. He looks like a porker. All the deer I have seen look really fat ast there is tons of acorns, beech nuts, and hickory nuts on the ground.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire