Thread: Natchaug state forest hunting questions

Natchaug state forest hunting questions

Hello everyone,
    I am starting hunting for the first time soon, and was looking to do some hunting in the natchaug forest, as it is close to home. I was wondering what people have been finding in there? I am looking for mostly small game and potentially fowl. the DEEP website says there is a bunch of stuff in there. I am also purchasing my first "long-gun" and am torn between getting a Ruger 10-22 or a 20 gauge, any suggestions? As a side note I would like to entertain goose or duck hunting, but have found little information as to even where to start looking for geese. Any input would be hugely appreciated.

Forkhorn
    Never hunted Natchaug but I'm sure you can scout around and find small game/fowl and deer spots. I would go 3" 20 ga. When I was a teen I racked up game with the 20 and I am recommending the 3" because of steel required for waterfowl. I Also know a 20 ga foster slug is a killer out to at least 75 yards on deer.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    If you will only have one gun ( for now), go with the 20 ga. Will work for everything, squirrels to big game, just use the appropriate shot for whatever you're chasing.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

orange requirements?

Thanks guys, the 20 gauge it is, now for another question; If I want to hunt both squirrel and fowl within the same day, what is the orange requirements?

Read the book. You should have a hunting license so that means things like that should've been discussed. You need orange for small game. Not for waterfoul hunting from a stationary position such as a blind.

Images
    Def go with a 20 gauge like the other guys said. Then in time you can get other rifles and stuff. On the deep site they list what you can hunt in that area. I wouldnt base whats actually in there by that information. You will soon find out we share our woods with hikers, bikers and you really gotta get deep to move away from them. Theres some areas near me that the deep says you can hunt small game. I went to scout it and there wasnt a briar patch or any rabbit sign to be found. It was mostly hiking trails for the locals. You really gotta spend the time scouting and trying out new areas.

Mountain Man, I apologize for the basic question, I actually take my field course this Saturday, and the online does explain the distinction between the two(small game, fowl) but I was wondering only about if you do it in the same day, and should a "change of colors" be brought to allow for a successful experience.

RABBIT HUNTER; That seems like a consistent issue many people have within CT, which is the need to go deep and limited habitat. The unfortunate part being that rabbits really are the desired target along with other fowl and so on, im also looking into Kollar WMA, at least from above it looks promising

Natchaug has lots of game, but in my experience there its kind of hit or miss. Your class sat. Should answer pretty much ALL of your questions with exception to where the game actually is. Best thing you can do is just get out there and spend the time in the woods. And not just walking around either. Tuck yourself up to a tree and sit quiet for an hour or two. That should answer some of your question as to whats out there. And dont get discouraged. You may not get anything your first season" like me, and lots of others". But you will learn alot if you pay close attention. Good luck.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Quote Originally Posted by alexanarchist View Post
    Mountain Man, I apologize for the basic question, I actually take my field course this Saturday, and the online does explain the distinction between the two(small game, fowl) but I was wondering only about if you do it in the same day, and should a "change of colors" be brought to allow for a successful experience.

RABBIT HUNTER; That seems like a consistent issue many people have within CT, which is the need to go deep and limited habitat. The unfortunate part being that rabbits really are the desired target along with other fowl and so on, im also looking into Kollar WMA, at least from above it looks promising
    Kollar has close to 0 waterfowl, there are some ducks every now and then, but I fish the Willimantic there all the time and used to hunt pheasant there (DEEP stopped stocking pheasant after 2015) and never saw much waterfowl, maybe if water levels go back up in the bigger pond. Definitely squirrels, probably rabbits, probably coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegauth30 View Post
    Natchaug has lots of game, but in my experience there its kind of hit or miss. Your class sat. Should answer pretty much ALL of your questions with exception to where the game actually is. Best thing you can do is just get out there and spend the time in the woods. And not just walking around either. Tuck yourself up to a tree and sit quiet for an hour or two. That should answer some of your question as to whats out there. And dont get discouraged. You may not get anything your first season" like me, and lots of others". But you will learn alot if you pay close attention. Good luck.
    Thank you Steve, I know that there will be a part of me that wants that instant gratification, but I am trying to privilege the process of the hunt itself. The way I see it because I will be a bit later on in the season, I can spend my time scouting and then hitting next season harder, with a greater understanding and potentially some better resources.

Also thank you swalter for the heads up on Kollar, it just has that open area that I am hoping will either be home to rabbits or other miscellaneous critters. Coyote is of interest but I feel bad not eating it. There is the constant argument are they actually edible or not.

What are peoples thoughts on small blinds in places like Natchaug, or Kollar for that matter?