Thread: Season Closer Evening Hunt

Images

Season Closer Evening Hunt

Well, it all ended with a bang. We hit the field again at 4 pm today. Same blind as the morning. Nearly the same spread ... added a few full bodies and changed the look. Increased the size of the landing zone. The migration is officially on. Over the last three days we've seen flight after flight of high V's. This evening we had four groups commit to the spread. Geese were high and burning altitude fast. Cupped wings, tipping in the strong wind out of the north. It was cloudy with a threatening sky on the horizon. Hearing geese in every direction gets the heart pumping. The temperature was perfect and falling quickly. It felt great to close out the season in the blind with the best crew, the best guys around, watching the geese bring about the change of the seasons. It was the most beautiful sight watching all these birds today. We were able to scratch out 15 geese from the four groups of birds this evening. 27 birds total today.

It has been a fantastic season. 117 geese in the bag over 9 hunts. Two hunts were skunkers with no production. The rest brought the fulfilling feeling of closing out successfully after hours and hours of scouting and hard work and knocking on doors and working farms to gain permission. I'm honored to be part of such a great fowling crew. Fowling in Connecticut is pretty small altogether and most don't seem to understand the passion. A passion hat comes with the territory of being a hardcore fowler. For those truly committed to working birds into spreads, reading the winds, finding the waters, tracking local populations and migrators all the same, ending a season like this is the sweetest of all feelings.

We had some great guys join the blind this year as well. Bishopreid. Grizzlyadam. Joe. Great memories. I'll never forget this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WoodsmanA; 09-30-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

An early season to remember. I think we got some true lessers today. Nothing like getting them to commit into your lap when they have 500 more yards of fields to pick from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Good to hear you guys are seeing the beginning of the migration out your way. Looking forward to October. Once again nicely done guys.

congrats boys looks like a great time

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    That's awesome guys, congrats on your early season.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Congrats, great season indeed!

Way to end the season troops. Hard work pays off.

Images
    Way to go guys! You really put in the time and effort to make it all come together. It is always quite an experience hunting with you guys, I always learn a lot and am amazed at the preparedness and attention to detail you put into your set ups. Nice of you to bring new people along for the experience. Congrats on an awesome early season, and best of luck on the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyadam View Post
    Way to go guys! You really put in the time and effort to make it all come together. It is always quite an experience hunting with you guys, I always learn a lot and am amazed at the preparedness and attention to detail you put into your set ups. Nice of you to bring new people along for the experience. Congrats on an awesome early season, and best of luck on the next round.
    I second that. The knowledge you get from these guys is priceless. I thought all I needed was decoys and a call to get started on my on. In reality i needed hedge trimmers, a sledge hammer, a burlap blind, and cut corn fields for the best set up!

Images
    Nice pile of sausage
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn