Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer camp/family camp

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by passinthru63 View Post
    Ask some of those Maine residents that have been trying for 20 years how that works for them. Plus I believe this year there was just over 2000 permits available in the lottery so your odds suck no matter what. I have a buddy that was picked the first year he put in and another pulled after 18 years of putting in.

PA only gives out just over 100 tags.
    And it's only getting worse with the tick problem and the declining moose numbers.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Yes, definately has to be within 3-4 drive so I can head up on Friday and not rush home on sunday. Leaning toward middle of Vermont most likely. Now gotta narrow down the county with highest deer population in the middle of VT.

Quote Originally Posted by passinthru63 View Post
    if it is not a main residency but
    a getaway or camp then I would go somewhere that you could Sunday hunt and somewhere that i could get to within 4 hours after work on a Friday. But that's just me. I love PA because as MountainMan said PA hunting has strong traditions and lots of public land. Moose and elk still require lottery so why buy a place to hunting something you may never get a permit for. you've got it nailed down to some nice locations. Good luck with your search.

I hunted Vermont for deer starting in the 60's and early 70's, after a 3 year break when I joined the Army I returned. You can hunt all land that is not posted and it is open to hunt on Sunday too. The herd used to be super but has gone way downhill due to many reasons such as predators, harsh winters, and a reluctance to allow the shooting of does for many years. Saying that it is still a beautiful state and if you work at it you can bag a nice buck. It is fairly close to Ct. too.
    Yuppies are moving to all of our northern states in droves. Also the heroin and other drug problems are getting epidemic in some of these states making it tough to have a cabin etc without the constant threat of burglary. Like some of the other guys said look around a bit. I would also contact local law enforcement before I bought and get their input. DEP is also a big help if you talk to the right guys. We are considering getting a place in New Hampshire but not for hunting. They have no sales tax or tax on your pension but they say their property tax is through the roof. Good luck. If I were a bit younger I would consider doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyjerky57 View Post
    Yes, definately has to be within 3-4 drive so I can head up on Friday and not rush home on sunday. Leaning toward middle of Vermont most likely. Now gotta narrow down the county with highest deer population in the middle of VT.
    I am partial to VT for other reasons but have not hunted it. Please share your results for the deer search. I have a hunting friend with a family cabin in VT who claims the deer population was decimated and has not rebounded.

NH is decent for retirement tax-wise. Upstate NY seems cheap for acreage. As stated, 4 hours or less is key for me. I would also consider what else is in the area like skiing or lakes.