Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer camp/family camp

Deer camp/family camp

If you had to buy a pc of land for hunting and family fun, didn't want to spend a fortune, what state would you pick between upstate ny, vermont, or new hampshire, or penn? Ny is nice and cheap but chitty gun laws I think compared to the others. I want to look into buying 10 ish plus acres but I don't know what would offer the best deer hunting and upland would be a plus.

No one has anything on this?

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    All are beautiful states. NY gun laws are like CT. Maine wouldn't be bad if you got upstate a bit. I don't know about the others, but in ME you're allowed to hunt anywhere that's not posted (each town or county may be different???). Upland birds and rabbits, plus deer, bear and moose. Blue spruce are plentiful but no season on them. I don't know about VT or NH as far as hunting goes. I think all of them have good populations of small mouth bass.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    All are beautiful states. NY gun laws are like CT. Maine wouldn't be bad if you got upstate a bit. I don't know about the others, but in ME you're allowed to hunt anywhere that's not posted (each town or county may be different???). Upland birds and rabbits, plus deer, bear and moose. Blue spruce are plentiful but no season on them. I don't know about VT or NH as far as hunting goes. I think all of them have good populations of small mouth bass.
    Agreed.

Moose /elk hunting would be the game changers. Moose hunting would mean Maine; Elk would mean Pennsylvania.

Bov
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

You have it narrowed down, I would spend time in each before I decide. I have an affection for ME and hope to have a place there someday but have many friends that feel the same way about NH and VT.

NY is tempting but the taxes there make me a little nervous. I will say, that I read an article that claimed PA is the best state to retire in in the NE and it has some beautiful county but I haven't spent much time there. I have a dairy farmer friend that owns several hundred acres in CT but still travels to PA to hunt every year.

I find it hard to believe that any of those states will have gun laws as bad as we deal with here.
    Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
    Genesis 27:3

12 Point
    Family friends just purchased 52 acres with a small "camp" in Pittsburg NH cheap IMO it's a upland hunters paradise with the number of grouse we saw, the fishing on the lakes is incredible and the deer herd is insane.....money well spent! His kids and grandkids will have land to hunt forever

For me, I would buy in PA hands down. Especially in western PA, hunting is a religion there. They even cancel school on opening day. Those are the kinds of people I want to call my neighbor.
    And from what I am told, the deer are plentiful. From where we are in CT, I could go pretty far west and still keep the drive under 6 hours.

Images
    if it is not a main residency but a getaway or camp then I would go somewhere that you could Sunday hunt and somewhere that i could get to within 4 hours after work on a Friday. But that's just me. I love PA because as MountainMan said PA hunting has strong traditions and lots of public land. Moose and elk still require lottery so why buy a place to hunting something you may never get a permit for. you've got it nailed down to some nice locations. Good luck with your search.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by passinthru63 View Post
    if it is not a main residency but a getaway or camp then I would go somewhere that you could Sunday hunt and somewhere that i could get to within 4 hours after work on a Friday. But that's just me. I love PA because as MountainMan said PA hunting has strong traditions and lots of public land. Moose and elk still require lottery so why buy a place to hunting something you may never get a permit for. you've got it nailed down to some nice locations. Good luck with your search.
    Absolutely true and I agree but most lotteries tend to favor residents over nonresidents.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizontal Hunter View Post
    Absolutely true and I agree but most lotteries tend to favor residents over nonresidents.

Bob
    Ask some of those Maine residents that have been trying for 20 years how that works for them. Plus I believe this year there was just over 2000 permits available in the lottery so your odds suck no matter what. I have a buddy that was picked the first year he put in and another pulled after 18 years of putting in.

PA only gives out just over 100 tags.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63