Thread: 9/29 After Work Goose Hunt

9/29 After Work Goose Hunt

Figured with the cooler temps it would be worth sneaking out a bit early for one more hunt before the early season shuts down. Got to the farm and was happy to see they chopped the corn fields just a day or two ago so if any birds were in the area, they might take a look. Set up in a few roas of corn the farmer left standing and set up for a light northwest wind. Wind turned to nonexistant around 6:00 coinsidently when the birds began to fly. A group of a dozen or so came in off my right shoulder and sounded as they were committed, barking back and forth more and more rapidly on the approach. The corn was good cover but blocked my view and hearing enough that when they set in to my far right (upwind when there was wind) they caught me off guard. I was able to drop 3 of the closer birds with most of the others out of range after the first couple shots.

Decided to take the 20ga this afternoon because it was too tempting to use during early season with the extended mag. I learned quickly that 9 shots in your own gun is not the same as 3 guys with 3 shots each. Can't say I've ever gotten much use out of shots #4 and 5 during early season besides when calling back juvies after the first volley. Almost worked them back in for a second shot but something about their buddies break dancing on the ground didn't sit right with them. Saw maybe 2 other flocks of birds during the hunt. I was astonished with amounts of mallards and woodies using the pasture pond. Looked more like November than the end of September with a few flocks 15-20 strong. They typically disappear before the opener but I'm hoping at least a fraction of the ducks I saw this afternoon are still around in a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Congrats Mallard. Good shooting. We're hitting one of our fields this morning to close out the early season. It went by so damn quickly. It definitely does feel like a few weeks later in the season as far as birds go. Been seeing a lot of high flying geese V's the last couple days. Just wish it was 30 degrees colder. Can't wait for duck opener!
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Nice work for a quick solo hunt, congrats!

Good luck guys it's a washout out here this a.m. Normally a little water wouldn't deter me, especially if it was for ducks. Better to give the fields I have a break till first split opens when I can get my buddies out there instead of just me educating the geese on my own. This September season was a blast. Can't wait to see what a few weeks holds.