Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2017/2018 Season

Wow! That thing is huge. Nice work. Bigger back straps than a small deer. LOL

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    That's a big beaver Adam, congrats. How far did you have to carry it? I've never caught one that big, but two years ago my sister brought me two to skin for her. One was 59, the other just over 50. They make a big blanket. You put them up real nice too.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Thanks Brian. Little bit of a walk to and from the spot. Probably a 1/4 mile through some thick stuff. Wasn't too bad of a carry out.

Here you go Big Eight. Some prime beaver backstrap. Taking off the silver and cutting it into medallions. Definitely keeping some out for beaver strap and eggs tomorrow morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Very nice. Got to love fresh back straps. Enjoy!

Images
    Couple months ago I built a mink box for a 120 conibear and posted about it. Finally got it out in the swamp today. Low side of a beaver dam where the water remains open from the flow. Thing floats perfectly. Bait sits high out of the water and the 120 is 100% legal in the water. Very excited to see how it does.

I've spent the last week running a 1/4 mile long line with 550 footholds for coyotes. The weather has been a real factor this year so far. Traps froze in the first night. Have had light snow falling every morning since. Definitely feels like trapping weather. This mornings check was first sign of anything investigating a set or getting close. One trap was set off. Not sure if it was a coyote, fox or bobcat as the fresh morning snow covered up any evidence.

Also sunk some baited 330 conibears under the ice this after and got a crossover set put in where the water doesn't freeze. The ice is just thick enough to support my weight. First step out and it let out an angry moan. Thats always a heart jumper. Hoping the next week produces a fur or two. We'll see!
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    Couple months ago I built a mink box for a 120 conibear and posted about it. Finally got it out in the swamp today. Low side of a beaver dam where the water remains open from the flow. Thing floats perfectly. Bait sits high out of the water and the 120 is 100% legal in the water. Very excited to see how it does.

I've spent the last week running a 1/4 mile long line with 550 footholds for coyotes. The weather has been a real factor this year so far. Traps froze in the first night. Have had light snow falling every morning since. Definitely feels like trapping weather. This mornings check was first sign of anything investigating a set or getting close. One trap was set off. Not sure if it was a coyote, fox or bobcat as the fresh morning snow covered up any evidence.

Also sunk some baited 330 conibears under the ice this after and got a crossover set put in where the water doesn't freeze. The ice is just thick enough to support my weight. First step out and it let out an angry moan. Thats always a heart jumper. Hoping the next week produces a fur or two. We'll see!

I have had real issues with weather myself coyote trapping. Rain then freezing temps froze a bunch of traps. 4 dug up this year. More then usuall? I read if dug up often coons. That been your experience?

Got one when weather was warmer but with horrible weather im not even resetting until warmer temps return to thaw dirt. With warmer weather gonna increase line length. Few more days.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Dug up traps could mean you're setting them solid enough (no wiggle). Or could be the traps are dirty (odor from bait/lure or previous catch. Freeze/thaw could effect them also, and trip them. Coons are a possibility, but only if a wobble to the set or you would be catching the coons too.
    Frigid cold conditions are perfect for coyotes, the colder, the better. Get the steel in the ground and deal with the weather. Use the peat, waxed dirt or hulls to keep them working. Good luck.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Yep, just have to adapt to the weather. Many ways to prevent traps from freezing in. Keep working at it and try different ways to avoid the freeze. I agree with Brian - the colder the better. Before this last shot of arctic air hit us, the nearby activity on my coyote line was fair but they weren't invistigating sets. Once it got cold the coyotes really started to move. Much more activity around and they hit three of my sets in the last three days. Had a tripped miss and two near catches. So it's a step in the right direction and I credit the cold weather for the increase in activity. Yesterday morning I checked a dirt hole set and had four coyote paw prints within and inch of the pan and a fox was milling around it at some point as well. Close but no dice.
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

So checking my coyote traps today one was tripped. Looked like freeze tripped trap. Maybe yote did. Either way after eating my bait yote left me a message " don't mess with me" or I'll mess you.

Images
    I've got 15 feral cats this year. 12 possums and 3 coon. All from my side yard. Not going to skin them out at these prices. Found rats,mink and beaver in the river, but too lazy to put the boat in every day. Good luck this year .
    Sportsmen will change the future.
    www.BigBearWildlifeControl.org
    Be Green,Buy Fur!