Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2017/2018 Season

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhorse View Post
    Set 12 coyote traps yesterday. Hoping for warm weather for a bit. Hate the freeze thaw cycle to lock up my traps. Whats your best solution to the frozen trap problem.
    Welcome Steel. I second what TooMany said. I've also tried coverhulls (mixed results), peat moss and salt on the trap springs (not a fan) and making my own dirt with wax flakes (eh...). Always learning.

Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    Welcome Steel. I second what TooMany said. I've also tried coverhulls (mixed results), peat moss and salt on the trap springs (not a fan) and making my own dirt with wax flakes (eh...). Always learning.
    I did the peat moss last season. I could never get a good bedding. Biggest problem was that hole with trap would fill with water after heavy rains and freeze trap to ground so even if pan was pressed it wouldn't fire.
    Or moss would float away. I never tried the waxed dirt.
    For pan, this season I just started using pillow stuffing under pan. I like it much better then pan covers. Not sure how it will work when frozen though.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I've placed a sheet of wax paper under the pan to prevent the freezing down too. So, cut a bed, add some peat, paper, more peat, trap. Use a small stone or stick outside of the jaws to stabilize, paper over the pan/under jaws, more peat and dry dirt on top. I never used the waxed dirt, mostly because I seem to use a lot and didn't want to waste it. Using peat doesn't give you that feel of a solid bed, but when the weather changes it works great. Face it, coyotes step on soft spots all the time, if they don't get pinched and missed, I don't think they give it much thought.

Steelhorse, what size trap are you using? Mine were #3 softcatch, four coiled, 3 swivels, JC Conner inline spring, double staked. Was a bit much for fox, but held coyotes well.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Great job on those beavers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    I've placed a sheet of wax paper under the pan to prevent the freezing down too. So, cut a bed, add some peat, paper, more peat, trap. Use a small stone or stick outside of the jaws to stabilize, paper over the pan/under jaws, more peat and dry dirt on top. I never used the waxed dirt, mostly because I seem to use a lot and didn't want to waste it. Using peat doesn't give you that feel of a solid bed, but when the weather changes it works great. Face it, coyotes step on soft spots all the time, if they don't get pinched and missed, I don't think they give it much thought.

Steelhorse, what size trap are you using? Mine were #3 softcatch, four coiled, 3 swivels, JC Conner inline spring, double staked. Was a bit much for fox, but held coyotes well.
    Its been a while but maybe mb550. Double coil on traps. Double swivels and in line spring.

Nothing but usually takes a day or two to "cool off" after sets.

Woodsman: We were all hanging out enjoying a few cold beverages and consumed some back strap from a deer my buddy had got on Thanksgiving morning. My buddy is still a very active trapper. We got on the conversation of trapping and eating different animals caught and we hit the beaver topic. He had just caught one that morning well next thing you know my buddy was frying up Beaver back strap just like the venison with butter, garlic and slice of onion. Beaver back strap is fantastic.

Anyone hear near east haddam interested in trapping raccoons and coyotes? If so, PM me!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Eight View Post
    Woodsman: We were all hanging out enjoying a few cold beverages and consumed some back strap from a deer my buddy had got on Thanksgiving morning. My buddy is still a very active trapper. We got on the conversation of trapping and eating different animals caught and we hit the beaver topic. He had just caught one that morning well next thing you know my buddy was frying up Beaver back strap just like the venison with butter, garlic and slice of onion. Beaver back strap is fantastic.
    That's awesome. People look at me like I have two heads when I say I enjoy beaver meat. They have no clue what they're missing. Hoping to get a chance this afternoon to set some 750 footholds for beaver and take advantage of some open water before the cold weather hits Wednesday night.
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I also think beaver is very good. Woodchuck isn't bad either. Have you tried raccoon or muskrat yet?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Was able to sink two 750 footholds and a 330 conibear this afternoon in a spot very close to home after spending an hour in the fur shed boarding the two beavers I caught on Saturday.Spot is a bit of a walk in but lots of beaver activity. I tried to get in there last year but the ice had come in and it never was safe enough to walk on to do some under ice sets. Glad to have the open water now for a chance at this colony. I'd like to only target three beavers here this year, leaving plenty of opportunity for the future of the colony.

Got done loading the wood rack in the garage just a while ago and had a nagging feeling that I should go check the traps. I've noticed over the years that a lot of beaver activity happens the first hour of dark. Sure am glad I went to check! Walked in and the first 750 was undisturbed and I could see the 330 was not set off either. Walked out onto the dam and slid my way down to the low water side where the third trap is set. I could see a beaver underwater almost immediately. Yes! I think it's an older beav. Fat body on it. Spot on front foot catch and the beaver took the trap to the end of the cable. Gathered everything up and started walking out with the beaver floating at my side and heard another beaver tail slap in the water. We'll see what the morning brings.

With wet fur, the beaver weighs in at 59 lbs. Looking forward to seeing how large this one ends up being on the board.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.PAWServicesCT.com