Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2017/2018 Season

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Nice. Why aren't you expecting more?
    Did you get those other furs this season? Fox, coon, mink and coyote?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

hey woodsman, im not sure if im going to trap this year.. I have a farmer that i know that has a problem with coons. I would like to see if i could strike a deal to trap them in return for deer hunting next season. If it works out i might be giving u a ring.

i got an awesome pic of a bobcat carrying a squirrel in its mouth on trail camera. when i retrieve the sim card i will post the picture. I cant wait to be able to hunt or trap them they are the coolest animals. I want to have one mounted just like the picture.

Woodsman: I enjoy reading your post. Trapping is an art for sure. Trapped as a kid with a good friend in upstate NY so it brings some great memories to mind. Was curious if you consume any of the beaver meat?

Images
    Big Eight - Beaver meat is great. I think a lot of people who have had it who think it's no good have eaten meat off a beaver that wasn't handled and butchered properly. Puncture the castor sack and the meat is tainted. That happens more often than not I think. I brine the meat in light salt water for 24 hours then grill with BBQ or teriyaki or pan sear it with eggs in the morning. Handled and cooked properly its tender and tastes a bit like beef.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. Nothing today in the beaver traps. Released an incidental opossum from a fisher trap. Still haven't had time to sink and coyote traps. Tomorrow afternoon perhaps. Just skinned yesterday's beavers and will flesh and board then shortly.

Brian - The way the wetlands are set up where this particular pond is, I think this pair of beavers were the only two that came down a channel to dam up this pond. All the activity seems to be well south in the connecting wetlands. No bubble trails under the ice this morning or any additional sign that more beavers are around the immediate area. Leaving the traps for a week to see what happens. The furs that are done were holdovers from last year. A coyote, NY bobcat, fox and a mink.
    Last edited by WoodsmanA; 12-03-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradysmaster View Post
    hey woodsman, im not sure if im going to trap this year.. I have a farmer that i know that has a problem with coons. I would like to see if i could strike a deal to trap them in return for deer hunting next season. If it works out i might be giving u a ring.
    Sounds good man. Fur shed is open.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Set 12 coyote traps yesterday. Hoping for warm weather for a bit. Hate the freeze thaw cycle to lock up my traps. Whats your best solution to the frozen trap problem.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhorse View Post
    Set 12 coyote traps yesterday. Hoping for warm weather for a bit. Hate the freeze thaw cycle to lock up my traps. Whats your best solution to the frozen trap problem.
    Peat moss and bone dry dirt. I used it with dry sand too. It can get wet, but won't freeze up. Bed trap as solid as possible in the peat, use wax paper for trap cover, more peat, than cover with the dry dirt. Blend in with light debris at the site. It doesn't pack tight like dirt, but it does work well.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.