Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2017/2018 Season

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Hey Greg. Further south you go, the more grinners you catch, huh? Should've skinned and tanned those cats, make good conversation starters.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Greg that’s funny about the cats. Cages with fish bait?

After being away on vacation for a week I reopened my coyote line today. Man did I miss some serious action last week... I had all my sets covered with a 3/4” piece of ply and then a heavy stick over the ply to hold it in place. First set I come up to, it’s littered in coyote and fox tracks in the snow. They were smelling and digging at the dirt hole and marking a rock behind the set. I walked up to the second set and the same thing. Third set is a scent post - a coyote peed right on the post and was standing on top of the snow covered board. Fourth location is a bait pen with a trap in the entrance and two traps covering the outside. Tracks over all three. Oh well. Fur will be really prime now after all this cold weather. Sunk a blind trap on a coyote trail. Used the snow as a set cover. No peet or dirt. The snow is so dry and powdery it’s a perfect option until the weather changes - and the long term forecast doesn’t have any days above 32 so traps feeezing in shouldn’t be an issue.

Went out west for vacation. Spent some time up in the mountains then down in the desert. Tried to envision myself as a trapper out there. Everything is so different. Even tracking animals is different. Came upon this coyote hunting in a wash. Much smaller than an Eastern yote. Beautiful coat though. Few minutes later we kicked up about 100 quail. I bet we ruined that yotes dinner...

Glad to be back. Got a month left of trapping for coyotes. Anyone else been setting?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WoodsmanA; 01-02-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Looks like you were just standing right over that coyote.
    Coyote and bobcat tracks all over one of my properties, and coyote tracks on another. Looks like they've been traveling pretty good. I'll admit, it almost makes me want to get after them.
    I'll bet you pick up a couple on those sets, good luck.

NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    We were about 25 yards above that coyote down in the wash. He saw us and circled in place twice then stood there for a
    few seconds before running off. I think he was seconds away from pouncing on something and he had to consider if it was worth it with us standing there. Really awesome to watch.

The new blind trail set I put in last night almost produced. A coyote stepped three inches from the trap before doing a 180 and walking off. He definitely caught my scent or the trap scent. Hoping the fresh snow coming masks the area a bit.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com