Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying New Safety System For Treestand Hunting

Images

Trying New Safety System For Treestand Hunting

I will be honest, I haven't worn a harness in years while hunting so I'm posting this not to preach but in case someone is interested in going this route. I really hated the safety harnesses , they were constrictive when bowhunting, more weight when doing the long walks in, hard to wear over cold weather gear, etc.

So I decided to switch over to a rock climbing harness. I have worn them repelling and when I heard If the idea of using them for fall protection it was a no brainer for me. I owe it to my family to smarten up and hunt safe so I put this set up together.

I am loving it. Easy to put on, easy to wear in for the walk, comfortable, and it in my opinion is better. When you hang from it, you are facing the tree. The harness is made to sit in hanging, so you wont get suspension trauma unlike a safety harness.

So I bought a Black Diamond Bod harness. Used 15 foot long length of 3/8" static line for climbing as my tree tether which I tied bunny ears knot to choke around the tree . I used 7mm static line for the prusik knot which slides up and down the 3/8" static line. I clip in with a heavy duty locking carabiner to the harness.

I have tested a bunch of times at home, and am wearing it every hunt so far. I put it all together for under 100 dollars and it's better protection than what you buy from the tree stand industry.
    So far it been good to go.

I'm in the woods now, but I'll post up some pictures tonight of the rig.
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    I have heard lots of good things about the rock climbing harnesses. They are gaining in popularity among Treestand hunters. The best harness is the one that you wear.

We have already had our first Treestand fatality. A Massachusetts hunter fell out of a tree in Maine hunting bears. Our deer season doesn't open for another's month.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    I've heard lots of chatter about them as well, been thinking of making the switch. I'm all about wearing a harness, but even the best commercial hunting ones are a bit cumbersome and they draw energy out of me walking in. I always fade out when I hear about things like bunny ears knot and static line. I'm not privy to all the terms used from the climbing type and don't follow along well. Would really like some pics along with some explanation about how best to use a rock climbing harness for treestand hunting.
    With a conventional hunting harness, I only feel like I'm safe from falling out of a tree, but then I'm at the mercy of it hanging helplessly from a tree for hours. If I had something I knew I could safely repel down with, that would be good piece of mind.

Images
    Here are some photos.

First one is the harness, notice no shoulder straps....

Me wearing it comfortably....

The static line that tethers to the tree with the double loop Bunny Ears knot. The tag end feeds through the loop around the tree and bites to it....

This is the 6.5mm static cord that is made into a loop with two double fishermen's knots. It is then tied into a prusik knot around the Black static line. The prusik can slide up and down easily , but will bite when weight is put on it. The carabiner is connected to the line by making a bull hitch which keeps the fishermans knots out of the way. You NEVER want to put a load directly onto a knot when climbing...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyadam View Post
    I've heard lots of chatter about them as well, been thinking of making the switch. I'm all about wearing a harness, but even the best commercial hunting ones are a bit cumbersome and they draw energy out of me walking in. I always fade out when I hear about things like bunny ears knot and static line. I'm not privy to all the terms used from the climbing type and don't follow along well. Would really like some pics along with some explanation about how best to use a rock climbing harness for treestand hunting.
    With a conventional hunting harness, I only feel like I'm safe from falling out of a tree, but then I'm at the mercy of it hanging helplessly from a tree for hours. If I had something I knew I could safely repel down with, that would be good piece of mind.
    Guys, I can't say enough how much better I like this set up. You forget your wearing it. Don't let the repelling lingo or knots put you off at all. You can look up all the knots I wrote about on youtube, get the rope at Eastern Mountain Sports very reasonable. If anyone has a question about how to set it up, just ask. I'm pushing this set up on all my buddies, lol.

Here is a video of a guy demonstrating one for hunting...

https://youtu.be/VsOPf6BymVg

Thanks for sharing Dive. This year I grabbed a muddy top flight vest because the old fashioned one was like putting in a spider web. I'm thrilled so far, put on vest, buckle chest strap, zip, one buckle a leg and good to go with extra pockets. The rock climbing harness was interesting to me but intimidating, glad to see you're lowering the barrier to get folks safe.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrider View Post
    Thanks for sharing Dive. This year I grabbed a muddy top flight vest because the old fashioned one was like putting in a spider web. I'm thrilled so far, put on vest, buckle chest strap, zip, one buckle a leg and good to go with extra pockets. The rock climbing harness was interesting to me but intimidating, glad to see you're lowering the barrier to get folks safe.
    One of the best advantages of the harness I'm using is when you fall, you face the tree and it's easy to get back to safety vs hanging helpless.

Well, glad your wearing something.
    I hear your pain with wearing a harness. But I went out and bought a better one than the ones that come with tree stands. Those are just awful. The one I bought is a bit better. I have no problem wearing it over mild weather gear and no problem putting heavy stuff over it or it over heavy stuff.

You have more balls than I do. I have hunted from stands a couple times without a harness and I am not ok with that. A harness is a must for me. and I'm no pansy.

Looks like the setup we used to repel in basic combat training. Very effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images
    Thanks for sharing Dive,, wish i had one when i use to hunt from a tree stand after i fell i never climb again.............
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn