Thread: Moral dilemma???????

6 Point

Moral dilemma???????

I have a bit of a dilemma.

My wife and I moved to Connecticut three years ago on a home with 4.5 acres of land. It abuts a large parcel of protected land, unfortunately no hunting on that trust land. Anyways. We used to see a lot of deer. We had several that would visit and I did set up a ladder stand but no success. Close but no cigar in the archery field, so to speak.

Well. Now it seems we have only two deer, a pair of does, on the property that come to visit. There is definitely a downturn in the herd. I suspect coyotes and crop damage but can't really prove it. So I would like some input if possible.

Should I shoot one of the does, if possible? Take a "meat " doe and then do not bother the other one?

Should I let them get comfortable and hope they draw in a buck? I did have one nocturnal image of a buck on my camera from last season.

Any comments are welcomed.

Forkhorn
    When I was young a man told me that taking a deer out of the herd was like taking a cup of water out of a pail. Once you remove one the void will fill if its good deer country. That said I like to leave some seed for the future and to draw a buck. I would shoot a doe and hunt coyotes after the first of the year.

Nothing wrong with shooting does.
    If you really care about the population, leave the bucks. They can mate with several does.

4.5 acres is plenty. If I were you, I would plan out a spot for a half acre food plot.