Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeders

Anything planted isn't considered baiting. That's been discussed in depth. And you don't have to harvest what you plant either. Food plots are totally legal.

You can feed/have feeders on private land out of season, no issues. No hunting out of season obviously. When hunting season starts there needs to be NO feed/bait left or you can be arrested for baiting in areas where baiting is not allowed. I emphasized NO, meaning none, not even a single kernel of corn etc. Hope this clarifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
    Anything planted isn't considered baiting. That's been discussed in depth. And you don't have to harvest what you plant either. Food plots are totally legal.
    I agree that it's totally legal I just don't see much difference in that and a pile of corn. One is done a couple days before a hunt the other is done a couple months before a hunt and both provide food and yield similar results. Wanted to get personal thoughts on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EnCon Police View Post
    You can feed/have feeders on private land out of season, no issues. No hunting out of season obviously. When hunting season starts there needs to be NO feed/bait left or you can be arrested for baiting in areas where baiting is not allowed. I emphasized NO, meaning none, not even a single kernel of corn etc. Hope this clarifies.
    Thanks for clarifying. I notice you said arrested above. That's scary. In Mississippi it used to be about a $50 fine. Sounds a lot more serious up here!

Quote Originally Posted by bishopreid83 View Post
    I agree that it's totally legal I just don't see much difference in that and a pile of corn. One is done a couple days before a hunt the other is done a couple months before a hunt and both provide food and yield similar results. Wanted to get personal thoughts on the subject.

My opinion on the matter is that a pile of corn is less work for the deer to eat versus having to walk around a food plot either digging up turnips or whatever. Feeders also offer one spot to hunt. A hunter would pretty much know exactly where the shot would happen. On a half acre food plot the deer might be anywhere on it.
    Im a big fan of food plots as Im a meat hunter and not so much a trophy hunter(though I will still mount a nice buck and appreciate that), and as of now its the only real legal way to "bait" deer outside of 11 and 12. While I love hunting and all, Its nice to have that meat in the freezer.

That's a great answer!

Images
    Capt Williams -

You specifically called out private land in your reply so can we assume by that call out then any bait pout out on state land even out of season is a no go?
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopreid83 View Post

Other differences between the two, is a food plot will provide food and shelter to quite a few other species, not just feed for deer. Rabbits and rodents will hide in it. Woodchucks will thrive around it. Turkeys, other game birds and non-game birds. Predators will hunt the other critters too. You can harvest turnips, corn or what not, or let it go just for the wildlife. There's a multitude of different seeds, grains, forbs, fruits or vegatables that can be mixed in or planted as a single type.
    You will also need more than a bag of corn and molasses, or apples to prepare it. Tractors or at least an ATV with equipment. Clearing land, weed control, etc. and after all that, you're crop may fail. A food plot is more like farming, not baiting. It will also work 24/7 instead of training deer to show up at a certain feeding time.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Putting bait out seems like lazy hunting to me. I understand the whole small properties and lots of deer thing, so its legal there anyway. To me deer hunting is about the chess match of finding deer, finding their food and succeeding at defeating their senses while they travel. A good apple or oak tree is just as good as any feeder to me, it just takes more thinking and work to set up properly on it. I pretty much feel the same way about food plots, the difference is that it requires lots of work to set up a food plot and the deer can be anywhere on it without a guaranteed shot. Different strokes for different folks.

Feeders

You can feed/have feeders on private land out of season, no issues. No hunting out of season obviously. When hunting season starts there needs to be NO feed/bait left or you can be arrested for baiting in areas where baiting is not allowed. I emphasized NO, meaning none, not even a single kernel of corn etc. Hope this clarifies