Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeders

Feeders

I just had a discussion with a group of people yesterday about having feeders out prior to hunting season. Far as I can tell, you can have a feeder out till the day before hunting season begins. Should you choose to hunt that spot on Sept. 15th, your good to go as long as there isn't any feed left over from Sept 14th.
    I don't bait but its been a topic of discussion before. This applies to all zones except for 11 and 12 of course.
    Can anyone find anything out there that says you cant have feeders out up till opening day?

The law sounds like a gray area to me and all depends on the DEEP officer. If you look at the law below it says "for the purposes of taking deer". So if a DEEP officer walks up to your feeder during the summer, sees a game camera, and a deer stand; I think the DEEP officer could technically say this is obviously "for the purposes of taking deer". Now could you win in court or would a DEEP officer even care as long as it's out of season? Who knows!! That's why all laws are gray especially tax law.... hahahaha

Sec 26.82 - No person shall make, set or use any trap, snare, salt lick, bait or other device for the purpose of taking, injuring or killing any deer, except that deer may be taken over an attractant in areas designated by the commissioner. For the purposes of this section, an attractant means any natural or artificial substance placed, exposed, deposited, distributed or scattered that is used to attract, entice or lure deer to a specific location including, but not limited to, salt, chemicals or minerals, including their residues or any natural or artificial food, hay, grain, fruit or nuts. The commissioner may authorize any municipality, homeowner association or nonprofit land-holding organization approved by the commissioner under the provisions of this section to take deer at any time, other than Sundays, or place using any method consistent with professional wildlife management principles when a severe nuisance or ecological damage can be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the commissioner. Any such municipality, homeowner association or nonprofit land-holding organization shall submit to the commissioner, for the commissioner's review and approval, a plan that describes the extent and degree of the nuisance or ecological damage and the proposed methods of taking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never heard of anyone getting bagged for having feeders out of season.
    In Mass the law states that you can only bait up to 10 days prior to the opening day of archery season. In CT there is no such language so I have to assume you can bait till Sept 14th if you plan to archery hunt there, or Nov 14th if your going to rifle/shotgun hunt it. But leaving bait out after Sept 14th is a definite no no to me because you could easily be accused of baiting for the taking of deer.
    I'm kind of interested on the Captains opinion on this one.

Images
    There was a bunch of discussion over this on some facebook pages and there was responses received from DEEP posted there and really it comes down to what Bishop said above. Each case is different for sure and up to the officer to decide. Now if you have bait on the ground during the season in a non bait area, then yes that's obvious.

The problem is CTs law is not very clear. Some states have distance laws, baiting up to X days before the season, etc. The General statue that Bishop posted is exactly what was sent back from DEEP personnel to those requesting information.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

Looks like the response from the Captain in TooManyHobbies links clarified it a bit. I didn't realize it would not be an issue if you had bait out of range. I don't have any kind of situation where I would put a bait pile 200 yards away and hunt an established trail. But who knows, maybe some day.

Images
    That post is 6 years old and the captain is retired. Don't hang your hat on old info. Just saying.

Images
    Personally I agree that if it is not hunting season then you are not hunting over bait, but the question comes down to the G.S. and what they think they can prove.

Of course. And like I said, I don't bait. But knowledge is useful.
    I really want to find private property around Old Lyme so I can have a baited spot but that hasn't happened yet.

Do you guys consider a planted grass patch planned baiting a couple months in advance? Ted Nugent said that one time. He's a proponent of corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk