Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squirrel Competition

I finally got my daily bag limit! I had a great time this morning so I headed out again in the afternoon. Funny how some days things just come together.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Congrats RJ, do you not keep the front ends?
    Maybe I need some shooting sticks too.

Anybody have a recipe for squirrel?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Congrats RJ, do you not keep the front ends?
    I used to, but now I just keep the straps and hind legs. It's a bit wasteful, but it's just a meat to bone ratio thing.

I cooked up yesterday's hunt and it's delicious (family approval pending). I basically made them into Buffalo Wings.

They soaked in salt water overnight after cleaning. This morning I marinated them in McCormicks "Grill Mate" Chipotle Pepper marinade. I extended it with additional olive oil, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. I'm not skilled in making my own mixes of spices, but I always add some bam to store bought blends.

Just enjoyed a couple legs. They go real well with a tall IPA!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Cook temp? Covered/uncovered?
    Those look really good.
    We need a "like" button on this site.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

375 for 1 hour 45 minutes. I took the foil off for the last 1/2 to dry them out a bit.

Images
    Glad to see this is up and running. Some straight shooting so far guys. Good stuff. Throw me in the mix. I'm usually good for a few with the ol' .22 air rifle. I plan to get out for maybe an hour this evening. Met two of the rudest customers I've ever had to deal with yesterday and again today ... Need me some woods time.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Managed to drop two of them this morning in the fog.

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmichna View Post
    I used to, but now I just keep the straps and hind legs. It's a bit wasteful, but it's just a meat to bone ratio thing.
    I tend to agree. The front limbs also seem to have the tendon crowding the meat and prevents a good, easy bite.

I do take some extra time to filet/cut out the skirt/flank, shoulder+rib meat though. It makes for some nice thin steaks that fry up in butter in seconds for a quick appetizer while the other stuff is cooking

Images
    Got out this evening to try out a new (new to me) 12 gauge side by side muzzleloader shotgun I picked up today from a guy in N. Granby. Paid cash and a coyote pelt for it! Haha. It's a Pedersoli (Italian) replica of an 1850s era English hunting shotgun. Shoots great. Took one gray with the left barrel, which is a fixed full choke, at about 30 yards. Missed another with the right barrel fixed modified choke as it jumped from one tree to another. Got dark awfully quick. Can't wait to get out with it again. I used to love being in the December woods with my Hawken .50 caliber rifle. Traditional Muzzleloaders are the best. Now I've got this black powder shotgun to use. There's just something about traditional methods of hunting that I always find myself going back to. Probably explains the trapping, too. It was really great to take my two shots with this shotgun and then slow down to reload it and let the woods come back to life. Plan is to take it out for Turkeys soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com