Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squirrel Competition

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

2017/18 Squirrel Competition

Here you go, for those of you that are interested.

Same thing... No money involved, bragging rights only. Don't have to specifically go out hunting squirrels. Take 'em as they come.

Air rifle/.22/shotgun: 1 point per squirrel
    Crossbow/compound: 2 points per squirrel
    Trad bow: 3 points per squirrel

We can keep a running tally going throughout the season and anyone can join in at any time. Competition open until end of the squirrel season in February 2018. Season is open September 1st to 30th and then again from October 15th to December 31st. I'm sure it's safe to assume 2018 will be January 1st to Feb 28, as is normal. Remember the daily bag limit is 8 and 40 for the entire season.

No points awarded for posts that's don't include a picture of the squirrel(s) laying next to the hunting implement used. No points for road kills. Bonus points for anyone who cooks up their squirrel and posts the recipe and pictures here.

Chime in here if you want your name in the list.

rjmichna - 12 pts (12 - air rifle)
    Scorpman - 8 pts (8 - shotgun)
    WoodsmanA - 5 pts (2 - shotgun, 3 - rifle)
    Deepcallin - 3 pts (3 - .17hmr)
    TooManyHobbies - 3 pts (3 - .22)
    Gunslingr - 3 pts (3 - air rifle)
    Bishopreid83 - 1 pt (1 - shotgun)
    Supes3
    Baumer25
    Last edited by TooManyHobbies; Yesterday at 11:11 PM.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

First Blood of the Season

I decided to take the day off and sleep in for the first time in weeks. Spent a couple hours with the wife this AM, then she went to see the g'kids. I had planned to move a treestand this morning, so I brought the Ruger 10/22 for a walk. First squirrel of 6 was 40 yards or so and moving away. No shot. Secone one barked at me from thick pines and hemlocks. Never saw it. Third was a red that scolded me from a branch no more than 12 feet away. Had the sights on him, but I wasn't going to eat it and he wasn't near my stands, so he got a pass. 4th barked at me from low on a tree 20 yards away, but I could only see his tail and couldn't get on him fast enough when he moved. No shot. 5th hopped down the trail while I was looking for a new tree for my stand, I didn't hear it and wasn't ready. No shot. #6 hopped out in front of me while I was still hunting through the woods. He was oblivious to my presence, digging for nuts. I shot as he hopped and hit him in the hind quarter. He spun in a circle and scolded/cried at me. I sent 4 more pills his way as he ran through the secondary growth. Finally he stopped and my last shot anchored him with a lung entry, shoulder exit. One for the pot. Was hoping for 2-3. Was nice to be in the woods on such a beautiful day.
    I decided to leave my stand on the tree it was on. There was more sign there than the other spot, and a nicely worn trail at 10 yards.

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot 3, but only recovered 2. The first is hung up in some vines. Despite adding some lead ballast it ain't dropping.

Man I love Squirrel hunting with a quality air gun! Many of them in the area I hunted are black morphs.

I'll be home soon

Happy to see its that time of year again. Ive been keeping up with everyone's post over the last year since I left for the army. Ill be home on leave through the end of September and into October. Throw me up on the boards ill be getting out for some early morning woods walks and im sure ill get a few. glad to see some guys are already grabbing some on the first days of the season

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baumer25 View Post
    Happy to see its that time of year again. Ive been keeping up with everyone's post over the last year since I left for the army. Ill be home on leave through the end of September and into October. Throw me up on the boards ill be getting out for some early morning woods walks and im sure ill get a few. glad to see some guys are already grabbing some on the first days of the season
    Added to list. Be safe friend.

Images
    Grabbed my .17hmr and hit some state land in Higginum. Squirrels where in the Beeches and Hickories. It was tough Friday with the wind but managed to get 3 by 9am

Almost forgot a picture. CTrider and I hit some state around Hebron this morning, and I managed one with the 20 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spikehorn

another year

Add me in again this year. I need to defend my title from last year! Hope there are still some left in the area I go after all the shooting last season. Picked up another 28ga (Savage 555) to test out, and loaded some nickel plated shot for this year.

Had one of those hunts that make up for getting skunked on other days.

Got a late start due to an inconsiderate teenager working on his quad till 1 AM. I gave the kid a pass because I think he's having a tough go transitioning to college. Tonight I'll be less understanding...

Hit one of my favorite spots that I've stayed away from for a couple seasons. It's loaded with mature squirrels. I saw a dozen or more, and dropped four within an hour. All but one were clean head shots, one required a "coup de grace".

The loopy external ballistics of airguns make high angle shots tricky. The transition to hold under is counter intuitive (to me anyhow) and takes practice. My gun club doesn't appreciate me practicing my 75 degree shots!

Pics or it didn't happen:
    Last edited by rjmichna; 09-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Images
    Afternoon hunt. Went out at 5:PM. Saw two before I was out of range of local house. Shot at one running stone wall (I know, don't shoot at rocks, lol). Apparently missed him. Didn't see it scamper off and it wasn't DRT. Next one was cutting nuts on a branch. He stopped to look at me and I took a headshot. Hit him in the neck and he dropped. A while later another was running a log and stopped to look at me. Took the shoulder shot and hit him in the neck also. Almost had one other shot, but couldn't settle the scope on him. Nice afternoon. Also saw 16 deer in 4 fields.