Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind question

Blind question

So I am new around here, as I said in my introduction post. Currently reside in Granby, I am a transplant from Michigan where duck and goose hunting is pretty big. I know the seasons coming up so I finally got the boat out and I did some scouting (while fishing) up and down the CT river in the area and came across some decent blinds along the shoreline and in some of the coves. None were posted but were blinds for sure, found two in location 1, one along location 2, and one along location 3. Whats the rules for this here? In MI we have to tag ours if we build them with our info, as well as any blind on the great lakes or st clair can be used by the first person who gets to it that day. I can't find anything in the regs about this.

Edit: A complaint via PM was sent to me, stating one of the locations was a member's blind. I don't know which one and don't care. I edited the names of all three. No need to pinpoint exact locations to the public.

Rules
    3. Hunting Locations
    Honestly, when posting a report, it simply doesn't matter. If you want to say where you hunted, do so, if not, that's all good as well. We would rather know more of the details surrounding the adventure. Don't burn other people's locations either.
    Last edited by TooManyHobbies; 09-04-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    On public land, first one to it gets it. On private land, verbal permission from landowner for everything except deer, turkey and trapping, whereas you would need written permission.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I would also point out that it is illegal in CT to build permanent blinds on public lands and waters, so that means either portable blinds or just trimming a spot out along the bank. If you are caught hunting a permanent blind that was already there you will get pitched for it. That being said I want to say there are a few permanent blinds controlled by the state by permit on the CT river but i don't hunt the area enough to be familiar with where.

Check here http://ctdeep.maps.arcgis.com/apps/w...7f3473836db929 for more info on state hunting areas and brush up on the areas specifically closed to waterfowl in the migratory section of the hunting guide.

All of these blinds except one of the ones in the cove look to be made from nothing but surrounding materials, would they still be considered permanent in this case? I would hate to get pinched sitting in one my first season hunting Connecticut.

You should be ok if they are just blinds cut into existing edge cover. As long as they didn't chop down half the woods around the water to make it you should be fine. I believe most game wardens find trimming shooting lanes for bow hunting deer acceptable as long as you aren't cutting trees down so duck blinds should be similar in moderation.

If there's a blind built out of 2x4s and fencing that's a different story. Should be fine hunting where you mentioned as long as its public land.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8Shooter View Post
    All of these blinds except one of the ones in the cove look to be made from nothing but surrounding materials, would they still be considered permanent in this case? I would hate to get pinched sitting in one my first season hunting Connecticut.

I live in Granby as well. Message me. Maybe you can stop by and have a beer.

All the info I've seen online says if DEEP encounters you hunting in a permanent blind that they would need to be certain you built it. If you didn't build it and it's there, then you're free to hunt it. At least that's what friends of mine were told by green jeans officers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any way to pull up who owns the land where these blinds are? If its public I plan on sitting in them, also I am under the impression you can hunt legally wherever from the high tide mark, these are below that so I think I am good to go.

Try googling a GIS map.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is correct. Below the high tide mark you are good to go.