Thread: Should we be punished?

Should we be punished?

I know we've discussed this in the past, but just wanted to get a little conversation going before the season starts. My buddy and I have found a great spot on state land that has produced deer in the past. We've probably hunted this piece of state for 3-4 years now. We scouted it again the other day and the trails look great and there are deer tracks everywhere. Just as we were hanging a camera I noticed a brand new lock-on stand and screw in steps in a tree not 20 yards away. Now my first thought is crap lets get out of here and find somewhere else because that's what I would want someone else to do if I had a stand hanging. The problem is, my buddy and I always use climbing stands. So, should we be punished just because we don't have a ladder stand or lock-on stand marking a spot? This place is well off the beaten path. I'm actually proud someone else found the spot and hiked well over a mile in to get to it. That shows that someone has done there homework and is willing to put forth effort for a deer. But, I know it will probably produce a deer opening day. So, should I just get in the woods like I always do 2+ hours before daylight, hang my climber, and flash my light if someone comes in later? I know there is no such thing as marking spots and I know the person could see my light, disregard it, and walk right in to his/her stand. The problem is this area is tight/small and borders land that can't be hunted so if I set up it would be 20-30 yards from this other stand. I'm off the opening day and I really think this place will have great potential for an opening day kill. Any thoughts???

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I have about 12 stands up. I won't be hunting all of them at once. There's a good chance he won't be there on opening day.

There's also a chance he will hunt it, but come in late. He could push one to you, or he could bust your hunt. If you get in that early, I'd hunt it. He could be a nice guy and move on, or he could be a prick.

A few years ago on the last day of early state archery (Pachaug) I got into a tree before I noticed a climber attached to another tree. I froze my ass off for two hours, hoping the guy wouldn't show up and was prepared for shotgun A season. With one hour before sunset, he and another guy drove through on a side by side quad. He then walked directly to me and under my stand, crossing the trail right where a potential shot may have been. I was frozen and pissed, but that's state land hunting. I made sure I made plenty of noise coming down at sunset, because it looked like he was going to stay until dark.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I've given this some thought and I say that you hunt it as if there was nothing there. TMH covered the possible scenarios, but if you keep giving up good spots every time someone else happens by, then you'll end up spending your life looking for the next good spot, and hoping that someone else hasn't already laid claim with a stand of some sort.

Good luck Bishop, unless you have exclusive rights, it's not a whole lot different on private land.

At least you took the time to ponder this. That's more than some state hunters would do from what I've observed. Hopefully come the opener he will hunt a different area but if not, I hope he extends you the same courtesy if you are there first. Never easy to see someone else has discovered your reliable spot. Hunting state land, and even some private areas, are as much about patterning other hunters as they are patterning the deer. Good luck on the 15th!

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    I've given this some thought and I say that you hunt it as if there was nothing there. TMH covered the possible scenarios, but if you keep giving up good spots every time someone else happens by, then you'll end up spending your life looking for the next good spot, and hoping that someone else hasn't already laid claim with a stand of some sort.

Good luck Bishop, unless you have exclusive rights, it's not a whole lot different on private land.
    X2

State land is first come first serve. If you want to hunt it get there first and try to wave him off with the flashlight. Maybe he will be courteous maybe he won't.

I was participating in a controlled hunt about 8 years ago where you were supposed to mark a couple of trees with surveyors tape that contained you name and number during the scouting. A week into the hunt I was first inline at the unmanned gate waiting the last few minutes for entry time. When I got to the designated parking area there were three vehicles already there. The hoods were already cool. I get to my marked tree and some jack wad was already there 40 yards waving me off with a light. He had to have been there for an hour already; long before the allowed entry. He had to have walked past my marked tree to get to where he set up. Thee is no way he missed my chest high surveyors tape held on with multiple reflective tacks. Some people have no morals, honor, or courtesy.

It turns out that he was down wind of me so I set up anyway; got comfortable , lit up a cigar and had a nice long smoke. I could hear him cussing. When I got down I pulled my tapes and never returned. I don't need the aggravation and there are plenty of other places to hunt.

I hope that you have better luck.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire