Thread: 5/19 Late Season Bow Tom

5/19 Late Season Bow Tom

It's been a pretty good season this year with birds in most of my spots. I was able to get out quite a bit and had a lot of days with silent birds and some with close calls. On Thursday I decided to hunt a piece of private I had access to as state was not panning out well with most spots getting heavy pressure(misfire Thursday of opening day and a wonky left handed miss the next day both on nice toms being the closest I had gotten on state). After sneaking in in the pitch black my father and I set up where the birds were roosted just over a week ago when I was last able to hunt them. Low and behold the birds had either moved or weren't talking. We got down to the far end of the property and made a few soft calls. The farm had been pressured pretty heavily this year and birds were not reacting well to calling or decoys. After no response I crawled to the edge to check the corner before we left. There were what looked like 3 toms with some hens and a few jakes. I had brought a strutter decoy in case they were out in the field and I wanted to try and "reap" them. I gave it a shot, first just holding it up off the woodline into the field and calling. It pulled in 6 jakes who came within about 20yds. Toms never showed so I tried crawling but they weren't looking for a fight and left the field.

After seeing where they were comfortable yesterday and that there was a house just off the field corner I decided to set up with the bow where I had saw them. After getting set up in the dark and the sun started to rise I could here a few gobbles a few hundred yards down. One by one they pitched into the middle of the field from further up the ridge. I hear a bit of rustling in the bushes to my left and a coyote steps into the field looking towards where the birds flew out. I hurry to grab my bow but the arrow brushes the blind and the yote jumped back. He stepped around and I quickly stopped him and let loose, woops right over his back. Scared him off either way which may have saved my whole hunt. Fog rolled in and the birds hunkered down in the middle. Hens started my way as the sun rose further and came to about 80yds out in the middle. Through the binoculars I could see four tail fans crest the rise in the field. 3 toms practically attached at the wings and a fourth what looked to be older Tom giving them a wide birth. I had decided before the hunt to not call or use any decoys and hope that they returned to the same corner again. It appeared that I overshot where they were feeding the day before since they all fed about 65 yds down in a small strip of rye. The toms would strut back and forth from the middle of the field to the edge the hens were feeding. Around almost 9 I had about all I could take of watching these monster toms parade back and forth out of range. Thats when the older Tom began to work his way along the edge to me. The other three dropped strut and started trotting in behind him along with the hens. The angle the bird walked to the blind made it so I couldn't see him until he was right on top of me. I drew and tried to get on him as quick as I could but he was in a hurry. I stayed drawn and the second Tom works his way to the front of my blind at 13yds. He puffed up, I found the wing butt and let loose. THHHHAAAWACK. The tom drops in his tracks only flopping a few times. I hurried and nocked another arrow as his buddies circled around him. By the time I had the arrow they decided to walk off to about 40yds so I figured let them walk. They put on a show for the better part of an hour before walking over the lip. I was finally able to get my hands on my first bow bird. Nice sized tom maybe a 10-1/2 beard with spurs starting to hook. I was beyond thrilled. After passing up several jakes throughout the season with the bow, it felt rewarding to finally have one on the ground this year. Birds seem about done with breeding but I'll be out a few more times before the season closes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on getting him with your bow. It's nice when things work out as planned...sounds like you had a pretty good season, and there's a couple days left. Good luck!!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Congrats Mallard, way to get it done. I'm hoping to get out once or twice more, but bringing the shotgun. Running out of time.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Way to get it done late season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images
    Well done!!!!!!
    I love hunting Turkeys with my crossbow i will never use a gun again
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Thanks guys. Did you have any close calls with that bow mounted decoy Toomany? I've been bow hunting mostly without a blind and its nearly impossible it seems, to get the right setup and draw without them seeing, especially without decoys in the woods. Maybe I'll have to give a ghillie a try.

I hear that Andy. I have a crossbow as well and it definitely helps with the issue above. If I wasn't so stuck on using the vertical I'd probably have taken a few with the xbow already.

Good luck to anyone getting out for the last couple days. Been out briefly yesterday and this morning and the birds seemed to be back to the normal non-breeding routine. Decent calling but no strutting or displaying at all. No talking at all this morning.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    The first time out I had four Jakes come in and they wouldn't take their eyes off of the mounted deke. I finally got a shot, but missed. Pretty sure I hit a sapling. I called in a couple big toms too, but they were really cautious of the deke and wouldn't come in close enough for a shot.

NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.